PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the buck?

pimp86LX
06-14-2002, 08:37 PM
hey everyone i just need to drain a little of your wisdom here

ok i have about $500CAN for my car..and i don't want to get ripped off (which i might cause i'm dumb)

what is the best bang for the buck?
I want all go and no show, so i was thinkin about stuff like intake and/or exauhst...camshaft, or a small shot of NOS....(btw is there anything good to say about the zex "wet" kit?) any ideas woul be great

thanks
Paul tha :pimp:

87lxi
06-14-2002, 08:46 PM
i don't think an 86 lx can handle much NOS at all. i would stay away from it. you might blow the engine.

pimp86LX
06-14-2002, 08:50 PM
not even liike a 40 shot?
the engine only has 186,000km on it
runs like new...pulls like it too

well since its a carb'd, can i put a weber on without screwin with the polution controls? i gotta pass emissons test

GreenMachine
06-14-2002, 10:29 PM
500 can - I would go with an open air and cat back exhaust then you'll prob have enough for maybe a adjustable fuel press regulator.
The zzzeexxx will be about 500 right there so I would do some other mods first then go with a small 140wet shot of nos :lol :super:

accordlx
06-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Our cars cannot handle a 140wet shot of Jack Daniels let alone of Nitrous Oxide. Some have said that a 40 shot of Nitrous is safe but I do not recommend using the stuff unless your motor is in very good shape and you know what you are doing or have it professionally installed. There are similar questions all over the message board. Read around, you will find some excellent answers. Nos is not one of them for a car that you know very little about. If your car is an LX, it is carbed. I would suggest a weber carb conversion and some exhaust work first. Get to know what your car can handle first before jumping to the "NOS" solution. Putting nitrous in a car is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

My car is an LX and it runs perfectly but I would never put Nitrous on it. It has worn evenly over the years. Putting extra stress on an old engine can prove fatal if the motor cannot handle it. A 140 shot will more than double your horsepower and is more like throwing a couple of sticks of dynamite in your combustion chamber than the gas on a fire scenario. I do not recommend this.

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 04:57 AM
ohya i was sure nos kits were not for the amature..and that was just a suggestion...i figure i will go with free flow exauhst system first, i can't put a weber on cause of stupid emissions test
but i'm thinking of a custom breather box (kinda like a flipped lid but better) and throwin a k&n filter in there with a hood scoupe

anyway, thanks! :super:

gas+fire=:flipa: :flipa:

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 08:14 AM
i wouldn't put NOS on my car ! these stuff are really dangerous ! :D

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
06-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
i wouldn't put NOS on my car ! these stuff are really dangerous ! :D

MIKE
You sound paranoid abouy N2O!:D

All of you guys should look at Nitrous as a Turbo system. Both sysems are Big power adders and precaustionary steps should be taken in your motor before adding these "power adders"

Nitrous will add just as much power as turbo will. Its just a diffrent setup, that's all! Most of you think turbo is safer than Nitrous.... that is WRONG! They both create the same level of power, infact Nitrous gives you instant torque as apposed to turbo when it needs time to "spool up".

On turbos, the more boost you apply, the more stress the engine will take. Same with Nitrous, the higher the shot, the more power your engine will have to handle thus upgrading your internals should be a good option once you start going wild with boost or nitrous.

A stock perfect condition engine should take small amounts of Turbo or Nitrous without any problems or over stressing the engine if all tuned properly. But like I said, if your thinking "big boost" or "lots'a nitrous" you will need internals done to handle the additional power thrown at it.

Here's the way I look at it..... Once all of the external bolt on's and upgrades are completed and your engine is running at its full peek and you basically ran out of modds to do (except for internals) a Nitrous system is the perfect solution for your next upgrade. If you still want more power after nitrous, then internals would be the next step and that'll give you the "luxury" to raise your Nitrous shot to a hole new level of more power!

Check my site for major info on Nitrous and how it all works.

BTW I don't think Zex makes a wet kit. They only have the dry system. not sure.

POS carb
06-15-2002, 10:58 AM
A PROPER wet kit can do the job but don't go any bigger than a 40 shot with the stock carb/induction. It MUST be a wet kit tho, a dry kit will porbably detonate in the Dx/Lx

pimp86LX
06-15-2002, 12:13 PM
wet all the way dude!

i have this canadian performance mag and they had an article about the zex wet kit, they said its the best value add on for the torque and hp you gain, they also said its safe "if done properly" and for something like that i WILL do it properly....i was only lookin at a 40 shot in the first place, but first i'm thinkin exausht and intake

thanks guys!

:pimp: peace

CARBurn
06-15-2002, 11:25 PM
NOS or nitrous as some call it should only be handled by those who know what they are doing. By adding it all you are doing is wearing out your engine more and if your not careful, destroy it.

Just my two cents

89accordtre
06-16-2002, 09:10 AM
Right now on my car (89lx) im running a 30 shot of nos. It the sneaky pete application for all carbed cars. It works like a charm. However I also have a whole upgraded ignition setup and iridium spark plugs. Plus you have to advance your timing. And this kit is only 200$ So I think you'll enjoy that kit. It will give you enough leftover to buy a cat-back and headers from pacesetter.

OldSchoolSwap
06-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 89accordtre
iridium spark plugs. Plus you have to advance your timing.

Iridium is not a good option when it comes to N2O because it runs hotter therefore increasing the chances of detonation. Get some regular NGK plugs ONE step colder.

Advancing timing with N2O is another BIG "NO, NO" you must do the opposite, retard the timing at least one degree. Once you do all this you should be in the safe zone. Your in big danger as we speek, DO NOT Keep spraying untill you get that fixed.
Your lucky its only a 30 shot or you could've blown the engine long time ago.

Good luck.

POS carb
06-16-2002, 01:17 PM
do your homework people!! :stupid:

GreenMachine
06-16-2002, 03:12 PM
I was just joking about the 140 shot - that would be pyscho :eek:

pimp86LX
06-16-2002, 03:36 PM
hey i'm doin my homework! :smokin:

:flipa: :bow:

so what else can i do with 500 smackers...how much does a complete pacesetter system cost? and is it hard to install? i've done plenty of exauhst work before but is this pacetter header (the 4-2-1) manufactered to oem? meaning can i just bolt it on?

TeKKnoTeKK
06-17-2002, 11:18 AM
Well in my opinion the best first mods to go with is intake, headers, exhaust......you can add all the turbo, N2O you want but if the engine can't inhale and exhale properly you aren't gonna see much power