PDA

View Full Version : Amp wiring help!!

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 01:48 PM
K, now I'm going to wire my amp, but first I need to know that I've got all the right stuff. I got a kit from car audio store for the amp, but I don't have any wire to run to my speakers.. I need to know what type of wire to use to run from my amp to my 6x9's in the back???? Thanks again guys..

I'll devote this topic to my whole installation as I'm sure I will have many more questions to ask. I'll take some pics too to help out.

thanks agian guys

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 01:52 PM
A good 12 AWG. wire would be perfect for the speakers from the AMP. You can usually get a roll of about 50FT. from some places for $10 or less.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 02:21 PM
K, thanks!!!

NEXT QUESTION:

I can see where the RCA's need to be plugged in, but I can't really see what one does what (3 pre outs)

How do I get the HU pulled out to look around back there and to plug stuff in?

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Pull it (HU) out and refer to the stereo's manual for the exact reference. Usually, it starts vertically top to bottom
a) High Pass out
b) Low Pass out
c) Sub Out

But your situation might be different.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 02:51 PM
How do I pull it out

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 02:57 PM
If you are referring to your car (Honda Accord), then push from behind the dash where it is mounted.
You might have to remove the small grey box (10mm) that has the beeper in it to get a better feel.
The stereo might be secured with a nut on an L bracket, depending on what type of person installed it.

Let me know which it is.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 03:11 PM
ya it's an accord, so I just push it out from behind??? Or look for an L bracket???

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Ok, nevermind. So if I'm going to be running this to my 6x9's in back, which set of pre outs do I want to set the rca's into?? High or low pass out?? No subs

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Yes, you push from behind after verifying that there are no supports holding the stereo down so it does not come flying out when you stop hard. You could also do it the hard way, that is sticking your head on the floorboard passenger side with your back to the seat, using a flashlight, seeing the position of the RCA outputs and somehow plugging them in there.

Give me a heads up.

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by A Dawg Jr
Ok, nevermind. So if I'm going to be running this to my 6x9's in back, which set of pre outs do I want to set the rca's into?? High or low pass out?? No subs
Iam assuming that you are plugging into a crossover of sorts. If so, then go with the lowpass and adjust to your liking via the crossover. The rear will generate a mid-bass (assuming coaxial 2-way) which will enhance the total soundstage. If you are going to use the high-pass, recommend for tweets and the low pass for the mid-bass. If you are using coax or 2/3 way, they have the crossovers built in to utilize the different drivers on the speaker.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Ya, I've got crossovers, and I'm running 3 way Kappa's.. Still think low pass, I can always change that real quick if I deside I don't like it I guess.

Next Question...

Is this ok for the power fused with the amp. I just used a circle connector right to the power. Is that ok??? I hope so because it makes life really easy!!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/383000-383999/383829_40_full.jpg

Yes I know it needs cleaned

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Besides the obvious, you got your head on your shoulders about your project. Yes, it is fine to plug onto there...for now. Are you just running one amp? If not, then think about a fuse bridge. Also make sure the main fuse is close to the battery in case it shorts out from the fuse to the back. If not, then if the wire shorted before the fuse (fuse is in the trunk not in the engine bay), then you could damage the battery or melt the terminal connector (Long story).

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Scary stuff man... the fuse is just out of the picture so it's close. You say for now, so that makes me feel like it's not a good idea. If I need to fuse it, I can do that. And yes for now I've only got the one amp. Once i get a sub I'll have two, but that's a while down the road...

Should I do this fusing thing?

Right now, I'm getting the wires to the trunk. I've got the power on one side and the rca's on the other, it's going pretty good, this is all pretty fun!!! But I get stuck when I got to the back seats, how do I get the wire through to the trunk??

Oh and what do you mean by I've got my head on my sholders?? I now basically what I'm doing, but when it comes to wire, I'm a dumbass. lol

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Scary stuff man... the fuse is just out of the picture so it's close. You say for now, so that makes me feel like it's not a good idea. If I need to fuse it, I can do that. And yes for now I've only got the one amp. Once i get a sub I'll have two, but that's a while down the road...

Should I do this fusing thing?

Right now, I'm getting the wires to the trunk. I've got the power on one side and the rca's on the other, it's going pretty good, this is all pretty fun!!! But I get stuck when I got to the back seats, how do I get the wire through to the trunk??

Oh and what do you mean by I've got my head on my sholders?? I now basically what I'm doing, but when it comes to wire, I'm a dumbass. lol
What i am trying to say is that you are doing everything right, with some guidance. Most people who are unsure, are unsure of the situation in its entirety.

Anyways, the door sills are where you can run the power cable, make sure the RCAs run on the other side of the car to avoid interference. Take out the back seat, there should be a bolt holding it down in the middle somewhere and pull the seat out. From there you can direct the power cable from the sill under the carpet under the seat and through the rear fold down back and under that carpet.

As far as,"For now", its not dangerous, just looks unprofessional, I am picky. You can go to autozone, wal-mart, or any car audio dealer and purchase some special brass/goldplated connectors for the terminals with special fitment for the big AWG power cables. It looks and fits cleaner. You need to fuse, to protect the systems and your investment.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm a little perfectionist myself, so I'll definitally be fusing it (I'll need help with that)

K, well I have the wires all in the trunk. I didn't take out the back seat, I just ran them under the pannel that goes up the side of the seat, then fished the wires through some holes that lead back, it looks pretty good, the wires should feed right down into my amp which is mounted on the back of the seat.

Next is Ground, I know there is a hole for it somewhere that leads to a ground location, but I have no idea where that is, help!!

Thanks

One more thing. I picked up some 14 AWG wire, they were out of 12... I'm only running 100 watts a channel, so I think I'll be fine. But how in the hell do I connect that to my speakers...? I don't know if you saw my other topic where I just soldered the two together, but now were're dealing with 14 gauge wire, and like 30 gauge wire... lol I have no idea what to do there.

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Next is Ground, I know there is a hole for it somewhere that leads to a ground location, but I have no idea where that is, help!!

One more thing. I picked up some 14 AWG wire, they were out of 12... I'm only running 100 watts a channel, so I think I'll be fine. But how in the hell do I connect that to my speakers...? I don't know if you saw my other topic where I just soldered the two together, but now were're dealing with 14 gauge wire, and like 30 gauge wire... lol I have no idea what to do there.
I am confused with the first of your quote, I paraphrased. You will have to ground in the trunck, I drilled a small hole under the rear deck and sanded to bare metal and grounded fine (for an upside down amp). In your situation, I would prolly go through the back of the seat and ground under the seat (where I explained earlier) so it will be hidden.

14AWG should be fine, however, running the cables through the doos is no walk in the park, to replace the cables already there. An alternative would be to splice into the door wires before they enter the rubber grommet leading into the door itself.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 05:18 PM
It's only a two channel amp, so it's just going to the back speakers which are right above the amp. I got the amp for subs, but realized I didn't have as much money as thought, so now I'm just running it to the speakers....

Anyway, how exacty do I ground?? I mean, how do I tell if it's a good place to put the ground wire?? Keep in mind the kit only gave me 3 feet of wire.

I'm trying to figure out what you did. You drilled through the bottom of the trunk?? Then just bolted the circle thing to the sheet metal?

Sorry I'm such a newb

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Ok, just got to thinking.... right now, the wires going to my back speakers are straight from my deck, and thats how they're connected to the back speakers. So do I take those out and solder the 14 gauge wire from the amp right to the really small wire??? Or can I just fuse the 14 gauge right into the wire from the HU??

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 05:25 PM
No no, you are on the right track, almost there. Now I have a mental image of your situation. Give about a foot of slack for each speaker from the amp, on top of the amp to speaker requirement. The ground is essentially the bottom of the truck, or the underside of the rear deck. If that is where you are placing the amp, then just drill a small hole, use a sheet metal self tapping screw and place throught the O-ring end of the cable. Keep in mind obscurity. If it is on the back of the rear seat, then like I said, underneath the rear seat, there is bare metal and drill there. Make sure to sand for a good connection. Trial and error will solve the problem of a good ground or a multi-meter (if you are familiar with operation of such).

3ft. is perfect, give little slack for it. Also for the speaker wire, use some zip ties to wrangle the slack.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 05:33 PM
K cool so sheet any bare metal will do? I'm trying to find a hidden spot...

Brb, then you can help me connect to the spakers!! haha

I don't think I'll ever be able to repay you for all your help man. Thanks

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Ok, just got to thinking.... right now, the wires going to my back speakers are straight from my deck, and thats how they're connected to the back speakers. So do I take those out and solder the 14 gauge wire from the amp right to the really small wire??? Or can I just fuse the 14 gauge right into the wire from the HU??
I was speaking of the front before until you clarified your location, so disregard any splicing suggestions I offered.

Run the speaker level outs from the amp to the rear speakers directly. Just tape up the wires coming from the HU and make sure they are not touching.

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 05:36 PM
I tell you what, give me about 20 min. and I will get on AIM. I have network outage and need to respond.

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Sorry bro, I forgot we blocked AIM's port at the firewall and it is being monitored by our IDS.

Let me know where you are at on the setup.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 06:11 PM
ok.... well here is the problem... My speakers have two conections, one for the sub, one for the tweeker...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/383000-383999/383829_41_full.jpg

See the two?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/383000-383999/383829_42_full.jpg

Blue = Going to speakers
Red = From HU

They both go into that box there. And the other single wire coming out is what is connected to the wires coming from the HU... It's at least 22 gauge wire..

Unless you meant for me to solder the speaker wire out from the amp, to the smaller wire of the speakers? Then just cap off the wires from the HU..

Damn I'm confused, and I probably just confused you even more..
Aim isn't working for me right now, so I guess just reply here when you get a chance

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 06:13 PM
one for the tweeker...

ROFLMAO, sorry man.
I don't see a picture, could you repost it.

My other question for you is whether the stereo has an RCA to speaker sut-off. Meaning, if you use the RCAs, does it disable the speaker outs?

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 06:15 PM
lol my bad, I haven't even uploaded them

My other question for you is whether the stereo has an RCA to speaker sut-off. Meaning, if you use the RCAs, does it disable the speaker outs?

Hmmm, i don't know. it's a pretty nice HU, so it might, and it might not. I know I can manually shut off the RCA's, but not the speaker outs.

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Now I see what you are talking about.

Do not cut any of those wires. Wire the amp outputs directly into the red input, the box is the mini-crossover. From the blue-output and on do not mess with at all.

Let me put it this way, pretend that the amp outputs are the HU wires, completely pretend that they do not exist (the HU wires). That should clarify what I am saying. From there on in it should be cut and dry.

dXsquared
08-24-2003, 06:34 PM
so did you get it?? if you need more help.. ill be on AIM... just come online... im viperblueaccord

Travis

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 06:40 PM
I love you guys!!! :D:D:D:D

I'm installing that little punch control thing right now, then I'll go ahead and conect the speackers to the amp... I'll check with you guys to make sure everything is ok, reconnect my battery, and turn the key... be back in 20!!

Thanks again

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 07:56 PM
What about fuses??? Where do things like that go? I got a little black box type thing with my amp, and also a fuse that says 30 on the back, what do I do with those?

dXsquared
08-24-2003, 08:02 PM
pics?

Travis

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 08:19 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/383000-383999/383829_43_full.jpg

dXsquared
08-24-2003, 08:21 PM
thats supposed to go inline... like near the battery...on the 12 V line

Travis

zero.counter
08-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Hey bro, I thought that we talked about that. I hope that you have not already plugged up the amp! Without the fuse!

You need to splice it into the cable and either crimp or solder the ends, you don't want that coming off when you are driving.

Then ends of that fuse are not big enough for you to plug the power cable into, so you will need to perform one of the above suggestions.

A Dawg Jr
08-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Naw, haven't powered it up yet...

by cable you mean the power right???

So I just cut it, and hook it up to the wire to connect the wire back up???

Shouldn't be a big problem

catalin
08-24-2003, 11:41 PM
You'd be risking this without a fuse at the battery.

http://members.shaw.ca/ccapota/IMG_1025.JPG

A Dawg Jr
08-25-2003, 09:24 AM
I guess the kit has one built in.... Thanks travis

It sounds awesome guys!!!! But I really should have 4 channel... it's a little off.. oh well when I get more money I guess