PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDA 9813

Mac
08-24-2003, 07:20 PM
I was looking into the Alpine CDA 9813 and read on Crutchfield that Alpine suggest that you run a 10 gage wire from the battery to the 12 v wire. Is this true? Does anyone who has a 9813 or 9815 remember reading this in the owners manual? Did anybody really do this?

dXsquared
08-24-2003, 07:30 PM
hmm.. it would be a good idea... you want it to have lots of juice if it needs it

Travis

shepherd79
08-25-2003, 09:32 AM
well if you are going to run speakers from the ALpine HU itself, than yes you should run 10G wire.
if you have external amp to power speakers than don't worry. smaller gauge wire will do.

dXsquared
08-25-2003, 09:42 AM
you still need power to run tthe Pre Outs.. the more juice tha head can bring in, the more volts are goin out your pre's.... my deck has a function to turn off all the graphics soo the power go's right to the pre outs for the best signal....

Travis

88 Accord DX
08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
ive got the 9813 but i only ran 14 guage i think.

Mac
08-26-2003, 05:09 PM
It really doesn't make any sense. If there was enough current draw Alpine would put a 10 gage wire right out of radio. Splicing a 10 gage to a 16 or 14 gage wire is worthless. The radio can only draw what the smallest wire will handle. I think it's a scam to sell a wiring kit. Just was curious if anyone heard or read it any where else. Wanted to know if the owners manual mentioned it?

catalin
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
I think it's a bit of a scam too, but the thinner the gauge and the longer the run of wire current/heat will build up. You should use a bigger gauge if you have a longer run to prevent problems.

However you can always connect the power wires to the underdash fusebox which will most likely have at least an eight gauge line from the battery.

87DXHatch
08-26-2003, 09:10 PM
The only bad thing about the 9813, is that it has a very weak sub out...

The CD player is rated at "4V Preouts" but in reality, the Sub Preout doesn't even get there. The Front and Rear preouts clip something like 4 or 5 steps from Max volume, but the Sub out NEVER clips, all the way up to max, so to get the max out of the sub out, you'd have to clip your other outs.

Also, with the sub level at +15 on the deck, it was only measured (several independent tests) a max of 1.7 volts at the max volume before clipping of the front speakers.

Just something to think about if you're considering this CD player... if you don't have a problem with turning up the gain a bit more to better match your amp to the CD player, then the above shouldn't worry you...

As for the 10-guage thing, the CD player still uses chip-style "amps" to power speakers, so I personally don't think the 10-guage wire is necessary.