PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor and heat shield removal Question

HaccordR89
08-24-2003, 10:12 PM
i seriously fubared my transaxle so im not driving for a while, so i decided to pull my car apart and replace, well anything that need it or anything i decide to. well, when i went to pull the heat shield off the exhaust manifold, i noticed i needed to pull the O2 sensors first right, but they are too far inside the shield to reach them. any advise on how to get these things out, i know people have pulled they're exhaust manifold off, how did you do it, or did you even have this problem??? it's an 88 lxi 5 speed...any info would kick ass

G Man89
08-25-2003, 06:00 AM
When I replaced my O2 sensors I removed the heat shield first. There are three bolts holding it on. You will have to remove three of the plug wires from the plugs (counting left to right cyl. 2,3,4); this is for room to get the shield out. Also unplug the O2 sensors. Then just wiggly the shield out. To get the sensors out you have to use a oxygen sensor socket; I got one at advance auto parts for about $11. Plus I had to remove the fan that is right in front of the sensors, so I'd have the clearence needed for the socket and ratchet. To do this I had to unplug the fan and unclip the plug that is attached to the the fan housing (for clearence). Then undo the the clamps that are holding the hoses to the housing. Next I removed the three bolts holding it on; the bolt on the bottom has a spacer so becareful not to lose it. Then I just jigglied it out. When the sensors have been replace, reinstalled the things you removed in reverse order. Hope that helps you.

88LX-iSedan
08-25-2003, 03:33 PM
If you're just wanting to get the heat shield off you dont have to take the O2 sensors out, Just unplug them and pull the wires through the holes in the shield then plug em pack up.

Edit: ^Ignore that^ ...heheh

HaccordR89
09-27-2003, 04:29 PM
thanks guys