PDA

View Full Version : What's the proper way to check Transmission fluid level?

Shin87LXI
08-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Nonsense: I've been gone from the site due to my tranny breaking, but now I have a transmission from an 89 and I'm back on the road.

Question: Whats the proper way to check the tranny fluid level? Car running or off? I'm noticing that the car is shifting harder and the drive-way is getting dirtier (maybe power steering or transmission). Pops say it must be running and I'm like how can that be accurate when I can look down the hole and see the fluid bubbling when it's running. When I check it on level ground with the car off, I see no fluid on the stick.

Help me before I lose another tranny.

P.S

It's an auto.:rolleyes:

dXsquared
08-25-2003, 09:46 AM
well.. im my moms grand prix, you have to drive around till its warm, shift through all the gears manually, and then check it after your done all this when the car is running... its a real big sequence.. i dunno if its even liek that on Honda's cuz i have a 5 speed

Travis

Poodlehead
08-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I just read in my 87 Owners Manual that the automatic is checked with the engine OFF on level ground. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off and insert it withOUT screwing it back in, pull it back out and the fluid should be between the upper and lower marks.

A 92 Acura is checked with the engine off too. I'd warm the car up first.

HTH

Shin87LXI
08-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys.

I promptly added some more fluid and some Lucas oil.;)

DXHATCHBACK
How does that Grand Prix compare? I bet it's sweet.

dXsquared
08-25-2003, 07:08 PM
the grand prix is soo much faster... over 200 ft/lbs so it fuckin rips!!

Travis

A20A1
08-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Drive it around to heat it up and to make sure you got fluid in the torque convertor... then turn the car off and check it right away... then do what Poodlehead said with the dipstick.