PDA

View Full Version : air filter in place of battery??

Swan
08-25-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm in need of a new battery, and while I had mine out and on the charger at work, I was looking at the empty hole! it didn't hit my then...but while I was taking a break from replacing the master cylinder, I was studying the whole engine bay... and I noticed the intake pipe... and a lot of things started coming together.... weapon R makes an intake specifically for our car.... but, its not a cold air...it just goes to the front of the car, right behind the radiator... however, you can get a cold air from a 94-97 accord, and make it fit with very little complications... but it seems like since the pipe is so long, wouldn't it get hot between the filter and before it gets to where its going? so here's what I came up with... why not combine both of them! why not relocate the battery to the trunk, which will help in weight distribution... then you can make an air intake with a massive filter where the battery originally was... it seems like the bigger filter will catch more air, and its cold air... and since it won't have as much distance to travel, it will stay cooler.... also, there are more advantages to this... such as ease of replacing filter...isn't there like a plastic covering up under the bumper which would make it impossible to get to the filter on a CAI? or is that the resonator? but why, then, is there one on each side? anyway... i'm gonna make this one of my goals... relocate the battery, make an intake and have one of those dual air filters on the end, where the battery used to be! by the way, has anyone ever tried this, or ever thought about it? hit me up and tell me what you think!

1988starter
08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
you mean somethin like this.
http://users.argolink.net/sutton/images/front-eng.jpg

bobafett
08-26-2003, 12:07 AM
holy shit i thought your username was sean, and i was like WTF u are turbod what are you talking about.. lol

toastyghost
08-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Hahahahhaha Sean almost got banned from moderatorness.

shepherd79
08-26-2003, 06:36 AM
nice picture,
what kind intake is that?

Swan
08-26-2003, 08:30 AM
i'll be dawged..i can't do that now... its not original any more! you suck! hehe...just kiddin... but it would have been cool to come up with it and be the first to do it! but what kind of pipe is that? also, how is the performance? anything close to my theories? one more.... where exactly did you put the battery? tire well, left side against seat, right, in the corner close to taillights? or any other possibilities? thanks for input!

Swan
08-26-2003, 08:34 AM
ah ya, one more thing... I was studying the picture, and noticed the breather filter on your valve cover...what does that do? I've seen them at autozone, and on engines of all kinds, but never got around to asking about them...I guess it helps keep things cooler, but does it do anything for performance? I'm assuming if it does, its very little

Swan
08-26-2003, 08:39 AM
AHH!!! two more questions from the picture... what kind of plug wires are you using, and what the heck is that round black deal right behind the intake manifold?? i've never seen anything like it

1988starter
08-26-2003, 08:50 AM
OK first it is not my car I found it on a web site many years ago when I was still in highschool here is his homepage http://users.argolink.net/sutton/default.htm
He says with the heat shield the air is a few degrees cooler on the filter side

Iceman 94-97 Accord intake(modified)w/ K&N filter
Custom cold air intake
Custom heat shield(2/28/00)
Blue breather filter(took this off)DONT USE THESE
PaceSetter 2 1/4" cat-back exhaust
PaceSetter Header with Design Engineering header wrap
Power Stop cross drilled front rotors
NGK Plugs
Jacobs Wires
PaceSetter Short Shifter
Summit Racing rear located battery kit(done on 12/17/98, moved for weight distribution, use of cold air intake, battery out of the elements)
Removed resonator box, washer fluid box
Ingalls front camber kit from LightSpeed Racing

Swan
08-26-2003, 01:41 PM
hmm.... breather filter = bad idea.... any idea's why? besides the possibility that it sucks in hot air? where as, originally, there's a breather on the factory intake that draws in air? or maybe its just preference.... either way, its just a few dollars, what would it hurt to try?

NXRacer
08-26-2003, 01:52 PM
i think the brand of breather filter is the one not to use. I've never heard anything bad about using the K&N ones. The breather filter replaces the hose that goes from the valve cover to the stock intake system. Keeps the air thats going into the valve cover clean.

The 'black thing behind the intake" is his alarm siren.

You're right, having a true cold air intake (with the filter in the bumper) is a pain in the ass to replace the filter, but it DOES work better then a short ram. With a cold air intake, the air is moving at a pretty good clip and doesnt have time to get warm enough to hurt performance. With a short ram (filter inside engine bay) the air is warm to begin with so you dont get as much performance as you would from a true cold air intake.

shepherd79
08-26-2003, 03:01 PM
breather filter gets dirty a lot faster than air filter. you will have to clean it a lot more.

bobafett
08-26-2003, 03:09 PM
yeah its best to use an oil catch can. search for them on ebay they look really cool. im convinced i could make one for cheap! :D

Swan
08-26-2003, 08:24 PM
shepherd, yeah... i kinda knew that... I dunno why I didn't think of it... but maybe if you use a heatshield, like the guy in the picture above did... his website shows ya how to make a pretty good one, it seems.. or you could make a heat shield that looks somewhat like a box..leave the wall in front and right (where the headlight and corner light is)... a day or night at the races, take off that headlight, and you got even better air flow! I've seen cars and trucks with the headlight taken out for air flow...but once again, I'm sure its a pain to take the whole headlight out and put it back in....so scratch that... unless you're already using it as a race car, and you don't use the lights anyway

Swan
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
oh yeah... I had some more questions about the breather....we've got a k&n at work, but its huge compared to that one...I mean, even the part that clamps around... or maybe it was just me thinking it was bigger... does anyone know about the cheap ones at autozone? or would they be the same as blue? or are you for sure that blue is the brand name? I've never heard of it

kicker1_solo
08-27-2003, 04:35 PM
I was thinking that was similar to the 90-93 short ram intakes, but then I looked at a pic of the one I bought for my gf and it's a little bit shorter, goes behind the battery.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pc438bdf68d009da70b6101978e5397b9/fc388a71.jpg

kicker1_solo
08-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Swan
does anyone know about the cheap ones at autozone? or would they be the same as blue? or are you for sure that blue is the brand name? I've never heard of it I got one, not sure where I got it from, but one of those automotive stores and the fitting is much smaller, bobafett had the same problem. I then got one from another member on this board and it fit perfectly, I dunno where he got it from. So be careful that you don't buy one that is too small.