PDA

View Full Version : **OPINION** '86-'87 Clear Bumper Light Conversion?

Dibbs
08-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Aside from swapping bumpers out from an 88-89, do you guys think it's worth the effort to do a "conversion" of sorts for the clear bumper lenses on an 86-87? Here's what I'm thinking...

Since the lenses are similar in size and mainly differ by the way they connect to their housings, couldn't you just get the lens and housing then retrofit them to the 86-87 bumper and proceed with clearing out the lenses? Since the bulbs are a pretty standard type of Automotive connection, the lights should just pop right back in. What do you guys think?

MrBen
08-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't bother. I thought about it too, and the 88 89 has an angled side on the lense which makes it look pretty ugly on the 86 87. I just took off my orange lense, traced them onto plexiglass, used a jigsaw and cut them out, sanded off the sharp edges, painted the housing chrome, and slapped them on. Looks good, and better than 88 89 style personally.

Dibbs
08-26-2003, 09:53 AM
Really? Got any pics?

MrBen
08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
I don't. But I would go for it... If you don't like the clear plexiglass look, you can always spray the plexiglass with a fine mist of white paint and have a fogged look, or get some etching paint, or even put that nightshade black paint on them. You could even get that plastic fluorescent light cover stuff and put it behind the plexiglass and make it look real stock. Sky's the limit, but seriously go for it.

buzzbomber88lx
08-26-2003, 01:38 PM
definitly go for it man. what color is your car? some cars colors would look great if you just smoked the lenses with night shades.

HostileJava
08-26-2003, 03:00 PM
The lenses or just to long, it's not worth it to convert them. Either make your own or swap bumpers.

SiR
08-26-2003, 08:22 PM
I say swap it. The light housing looks better and "clearing" it looks more like the manufacture did it. The newer bumper looks better too, IMO.