PDA

View Full Version : A20A Forced Induction Options - QUESTION!

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:44 AM
What are my options

turbo/super!

yeah I know that...I'm asking WHO makes a supercharger for the A20!

I know you can run a T3 and just custom build pipes but I dont ever plan on running more than 6 psi on the stock engine (rebuilt for sure) so the turbo is really only going to do me a little bit of good on the highway or at high RPM.....I'm a city "racer" and I need the instant PUNCH-Y-Torque of a super SO

Here is my question...

"Who makes a supercharger for the A20"

I heard something about VW making one but is there any truth to that?

Can you retro-fit a super for say...a B16 on the A20. I know you can buy small supers for the B series.

I would swap out but I like the bulletproof-ness of the A20. You cant break it!

AND it sounds really good at 6000!

shepherd79
08-26-2003, 09:48 AM
no body makes them.
you will have to make your own modification to fit supercharger.
the VW supercharger is for carbed people., but even than it will need some intensive work.

bobafett
08-26-2003, 10:09 AM
just go turbo. u will have full boost at like 2500rpm with a .42/.48AR turbo :D

hondamanlxi
08-26-2003, 10:34 AM
you need more low end power to turn a supercharger! Better for a v6/8!

A20A1
08-26-2003, 12:57 PM
If you want a supercharger custom fit a vortech... it's about as easy as it will get. Then maybe Seans ECU will be compatible

Sean
08-26-2003, 03:48 PM
huh i got boost by 2000rpm and just about as much of it as the traction can handle. a properly sized turbo will have instant spool up

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Looks like a super is useless and a turbo is the way to go! When you say you spool at 2000.....how much pressure are you pumping in your A20? And say I wanted just a little more UMPH and wanted 6-7-8 ish PSI...could the stock engine take it if I rebuilt it top to bottom with new EVERYTHING. (stock rods, pistons)

Cause Im looking at the cost of cams and the time it takes to port match blah, blah .....all the A20 power problems can be solved with a simple turbo!

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
no body makes them.
you will have to make your own modification to fit supercharger.
the VW supercharger is for carbed people., but even than it will need some intensive work.

I have no desire to start custom fitting parts on my engine. IMO the A20 is a very nice engine and should not be messed with.....it just needs a little more air and a little more gas and a whole lot of flooring!

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
just go turbo. u will have full boost at like 2500rpm with a .42/.48AR turbo :D

Hummmm...I have not been searching for a turbo so I dont know whats out there on the market really. Can you shed a litle more light on the name of that turbo?

If thats the right sized turbo for the job and it spools at 2gand.....thats perfect!

I noticed the turbo name had AR in it. Does this stand for Air Research? As in the Garret line?

Also....what does this thing cost? Are we talking like 1200 bucks is a good deal and I can get a nice turbo or is this thing like the King Kong Ceramic Compresser deal thats gonna go for 1/2 a mil?

NXRacer
08-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Dude, you seriously need to read through all the threads about this whole project. Everything has been discribed to the nth detail. Just do a quick search and you'll come up with a couple of days good reading about the whole turbo project that sean has been working on for quite some time.

No firm prices for the whole kit yet, but it seems like you'll spend a max of 3k to get it running including (if necessary) a motor rebuild.

BootMachine
08-27-2003, 10:00 AM
I found MAD info on this site...I'll read it all through so I dont piss anyone off with already asked questions!

I found a Garret T3 turbo on E-bay for 250 us NEW! I'm not gonna buy it but now I know where to get one!

I also know I'm not going more than 6pounds!

All I need is ignition control and to figure out fuel control and then I know everything!

NXRacer
08-27-2003, 10:15 AM
ignition control is done through the DIS. Fuel control, you can buy an FPR to handle the upgraded fuel pump sean suggests.

markmdz89hatch
08-27-2003, 10:45 AM
as far as how many PSI a properly built A20 can handle..... ...there's a guy about 10 minutes from my house that's running 34 PSI on his 3G hatch and running in the low 11's, with more work to do which will be a sure-shot to mid-high 10's.

This motor is bulletproof if built-up properly.

bobafett
08-27-2003, 12:38 PM
wtf 34psi is he running 6:1 CR???

lol thats cool. why dont u steal his car???

NXRacer
08-27-2003, 12:40 PM
theres no way its running 34psi. even the pro drag cars dont run that high. If he was running 34, i hope he'd be running lower then 11's. My buddy is running like 25 on his BUILT GSR and he's only running low to mid 11's.

markmdz89hatch
08-27-2003, 01:14 PM
34 psi, 8.5:1 compression pistons. Don't kill the messenger guys, I saw him run his car at the Englishtown drag-strip last year, and can attest to it's quickness. So if he says 34 psi, I have no reason not to believe him. Many other members here saw the very same run I did, and can vouch for me. He's also a member here, Jhonny-0 (or something real close to that) is his name here on the board. Ask him.

NXRacer
08-27-2003, 01:27 PM
my bad. thats some crazy shiznit!!!!

Sean
08-27-2003, 06:06 PM
if i was running 34 psi id be in the 9's. fact are fact. im not just controlling igntion btw. im cntrolling fuel as well with the GM ecm kits. no need for rising rate fprs or any of that BS. im also using a stock GM v8 86-92 camaro fuel pump with 3/8 fuel line. good for 400hp. the only thing im not hapy with is my injectors and i think i might go from 27 pph to 33 or maybe just goto 50 and figure ill need them anyways. either way if you pick the right parts its a very drievable fast street combo that blows the doors off of most everything on the road.

yes my turbo spools at 2000rpm. with the sotck wastegate can on it it runs at 4-5 psi by then. with a grainger boost regulator it jumps right to 6. im also getting my boost guage calculated. i think im running closer to 10 psi. either way im making a shit load of hp and yes turbo kits will be for sale. im just negotiating the levels of the kits etc.

the engine is also stock with 168k on the motor. its holding up fine. the only thing i did other then bolt on teh EFI and spark management and turbo was i changed over to 20w50 oil to protect the rod bearings from teh pounding im sure there getting.

BootMachine
08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Sean
if i was running 34 psi id be in the 9's. fact are fact. im not just controlling igntion btw. im cntrolling fuel as well with the GM ecm kits. no need for rising rate fprs or any of that BS. im also using a stock GM v8 86-92 camaro fuel pump with 3/8 fuel line. good for 400hp. the only thing im not hapy with is my injectors and i think i might go from 27 pph to 33 or maybe just goto 50 and figure ill need them anyways. either way if you pick the right parts its a very drievable fast street combo that blows the doors off of most everything on the road.

yes my turbo spools at 2000rpm. with the sotck wastegate can on it it runs at 4-5 psi by then. with a grainger boost regulator it jumps right to 6. im also getting my boost guage calculated. i think im running closer to 10 psi. either way im making a shit load of hp and yes turbo kits will be for sale. im just negotiating the levels of the kits etc.

the engine is also stock with 168k on the motor. its holding up fine. the only thing i did other then bolt on teh EFI and spark management and turbo was i changed over to 20w50 oil to protect the rod bearings from teh pounding im sure there getting.

NICE...good to hear that the A20 is a good little engine. SO...YOUR SAYING that if I rebuild my motor from top to bottom I could run 6-9 PSI and still be safe?

You didnt install forged rods/pistons? Gapless rings? ALL STOCK A20A internals? Just rebuilt? WOW! I hope this is true!

I read everything you guys have posted on turbos here and there are only a few more questions I have that were not answered!

The turbo is easy.....T3 or T25 whichever I can get my hands on first!

Gauges = everything.....fuel pressure, exhaust temp, intake temp A/F (those things just bounce around....my buddy has one for fun...it tells you shit), engine knock would be a nice sensor to have also!....ALL THAT SHIT!

I'll get a thread going (hopefully) and get some more answers!

PhydeauX
08-28-2003, 01:16 PM
He didn't even rebuild it...

andy

bobafett
08-28-2003, 04:42 PM
yeah but consider he hasnt been driving it like this for even a month yet i dont think.

just because a car will hold up for a week doesnt mean anything. i dont plan on weekly rebuilds...

either way teh a20 is stout, and i wouldnt be surprised if it lasted a year like that. :)

Sean
08-28-2003, 06:34 PM
yes guages are great. right now im working on the knock filtering for the knock sensor. the stock valve trian irratates the gm knock sensor becuase its noisy. nope i didnt rebuild the engine.its holding up fine at the power level its at now. i dont think itll take much more though mostly due to wear. btw dont even think about gapless ring on ant forced induction engine or one using nos.

BootMachine
08-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Sean
yes guages are great. right now im working on the knock filtering for the knock sensor. the stock valve trian irratates the gm knock sensor becuase its noisy. nope i didnt rebuild the engine.its holding up fine at the power level its at now. i dont think itll take much more though mostly due to wear. btw dont even think about gapless ring on ant forced induction engine or one using nos.

Perhaps if you lap your valves they wont be so bad...unless they are just that loud!

I have one more question.

When you are running FI on the A20 should I keep the stock distributor and just retard that and let advance weights do their job as normal or do I need a whole new ignition system? If I need a new one...will it work WITH the stock distributor or is it a complete digital timing unit?

Sean
08-29-2003, 08:59 PM
When you are running FI on the A20 should I keep the stock distributor and just retard that and let advance weights do their job as normal or do I need a whole new ignition system? If I need a new one...will it work WITH the stock distributor or is it a complete digital timing unit?

the stock ignition is pure garbage for a boost motor.

PogiLXI
09-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Theres a turbo Accord on ebay right now!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6254&item=2429942617

ryan88lxi
09-01-2003, 07:18 PM
that is one confused looking engine bay, shit going ll over the place, seans looks way cleaner

bobafett
09-01-2003, 11:46 PM
true dat. althought i like the manifold design here on this one :) seans setup is 100x nicer :)

Johnny O
09-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Little do you know pro front wheel drive cars are pushing over 30 but their turbos are twice as big as mine.My friend who has a pro full chasis rear wheel drive car is 2-stepping it at 25-30 off the line so little do you know.If you are going to use American parts for your car,you should trade your Honda for a Mustang or Carmaro.