PDA

View Full Version : workin on front brakes

bladekid
08-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Well I found some "almost-new" brake pads at the junkyard and got them for 15 $ so this saturay i'll get my discs reshaped (or new ones if too thin) and we'll do the job but I got a few questions

The pads I bought are a little "dirty" (rusty?) on the contact surface... Should I put any product to clean them before installing ?

Can we do that in 3 hours (me and buddy) ?

Any special hints to make a better job ? (We'll follow Haynes manual)

Thanks

NXRacer
08-26-2003, 10:35 AM
front brakes are easy as hell. If the 'new' pads are dirty on the surface, take a wire brush and clean em up. Should do the trick.

You won't (shouldn't?) need any special tools for the fronts besides a standard set of metric wrenches and sockets and a big pair of pliers to push back the piston in the caliper. You should be able to EASILY do it in 3 hours if you're halfway mechanically inclined. Me and a friend replaced the brakes all around on a jeep cherokee in 3 hours.

NOAHS88accord
08-26-2003, 10:54 AM
brand new pads arent that expensive I would have just got brand new ones from an auto parts store.

Spray some WD40 on them and let them soak, it should take the rust off.

joebeets
08-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Not to disagree with the previous poster, but I would not soak my pads in WD 40. It has no rust removing effect, but is basically a "penetrating oil", fluid enough to seep through rust and lubricate the steel underneath.

NOAHS88accord
08-26-2003, 12:33 PM
my father and I are both commercial fisherman during the summers, and because of salt water tools tend to rust. I always soak my parts in WD40, and then dry them off with a towel and the rust comes off them, i guess it just depends on amount of rust.

AZmike
08-26-2003, 12:55 PM
If I was going to the work of changing pads I'd spend the extra $5-15 to get new pads--especially if I was going to bother machining the rotors. I would try to sand off the rust before using any thing that might lubricate the pad.

Mac
08-26-2003, 01:54 PM
For around the same price or a few more bucks you could of got new pads. Front pads are cheap and easy to do. If you are going to use the pads you got, either just hang them or sand them a little. I would not put any kind of oil or lubricant product on them. Maybe try some brake parts cleaner.

shepherd79
08-26-2003, 02:08 PM
people, you don't put oil (WD40) on your pads, what is wrong with you.
you shouldn't need to do anything to them. rust will go away on it is own when you start driving.
do not spray anything except brake cleaner.

NOAHS88accord
08-26-2003, 02:10 PM
my bad,

I should have known that, brake cleaner is the best to use. I didnt even think of brake cleaner, all i was thinking of was the rust hahah damn i feel stupid now.

Brettmans5
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
dude...you could have gotten some pads at Canadian tire for 26 bucks plus tax and they are good pads. yeah they are from "crappy" tire but they are good quality pads. i use them and they are fine. used pads are never a good buy...and they are right...never put WD40 or any lubricant on the pad surface. if you have to use them, use brake clean and then a fine emery cloth and scuff them a little.

Brettmans5
08-26-2003, 05:15 PM
oh...and you can get new rotors and "crappy" tire for 27 bucks plus tax...and they are decent too.... hell resurfacing a rotor usually cost 15 bucks....spent the extra and get new rotors.

jb2wheels
08-26-2003, 06:33 PM
If you gotta have the rotors turned, kiss 3+ hours goodbye driving to the shop and picking your nose while you wait. Just drop some lunch $ on new rotors. Less than $40 US for the pair and you don't have to wait for machine/brake shop to turn. Simple unbolt/replace operation.

zero.counter
08-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jb2wheels
Simple unbolt/replace operation.
Yeah, assuming that your hub-nut is not a pain in the ass in taking off. Especially where the previous owners never changed the rotors and it's tight as hell.

88LX-iSedan
08-26-2003, 06:51 PM
I know a C-Clamp really comes handy when retracting the piston, You can get a 6" Clamp at Advance Auto for 'bout 7 bucks.

Zer0
08-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Yea i just put on some brakes today, the c-clamp came in very handy. But what was weird was this is a car i just got and i knew something was wrong with the brakes so the left side looked good and i took off the caliper on the right side to find the person before had been driving around with only the inner part of the brake pas on i was like :wtf: , becuase i dont know how you lose a brake pad, but now since the piston has been pushed out it doesnt want to go back in, but the c-clamped fixed the, hoipefully getting new calipers soon anyway though, when i get some money.

bladekid
08-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help

I know I'm going the cheap way but for me 20 $ more on the 3gee is 20 $ less on the rally car next summer

The 3gee only gets me to school and I won't need it anymore in 1 year

dj99
08-27-2003, 12:47 PM
My $32/pair NAPA rotors, REQUIRED turning right out of the box. It was shimmying while applying brakes at high speed. The machine shop guy said they ALL need it, even if they say they don't. He's right. He would have charged $5 US per rotor new, and charged me $10 because they had been on the car.

Vinny
08-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
people, you don't put oil (WD40) on your pads, what is wrong with you.
you shouldn't need to do anything to them. rust will go away on it is own when you start driving.
do not spray anything except brake cleaner.

BINGOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The pads and rotors will get the rust off themselves as you drive and apply the brakes. Oils and fluid will cause the pads to break down. As far as turning the rotors it is a better idea just to pick up a new set, I priced them at 18 bucks each at autozone and advance auto, and no you shouldn't need to turn them if they are brand new, thats a BS Story. If they shimy when you apply them at high speed YOU warped them, thats what High speed braking does to rotors because of the sudden heat and pressure on the rotor. The only thing you should have to do is clean them with brake cleaner because sometimes they coat them in cosmoline(sp) to keep em from rusting on the shelf. As far as the brake shoes, I priced them at autozone for a whopping.........10.99 w/ 1 yr warranty or 16.99 w/ lifetime so gee I guess you saved yourself alot of money by getting a used set