PDA

View Full Version : ac compressor, romoval without loss of freon?

zippoz
08-26-2003, 02:01 PM
i have a fully working ac compressor on my 89 engine, i am swapping in an 86 engine. i was wondering if there is a way to swap the ac compressor without the loss of any freon? or if there is a way to drain and return freon once the swap is complete?

AZmike
08-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Is there a reason you can't just remove the compressor from the old engine and reattach it to the new one without opening the system up?

Mac
08-26-2003, 02:35 PM
No not that I can think of. In order to change compressor you will have to disconnect the lines. Not worth even trying. It is also not good to vent freon into air. It is also illegal.

Best bet: find someone who can recover your freon and recharge when you are ready.

Also whenever you open a A/C line it is highly suggested that you change your drier. After you change the drier and compressor you should have the system vacuumed. The longer you vacuum the better. System vacuuming is to remove moisture. Moisture in an A/C system will eventually do damage to system. After a good vacuum recharge the system.

zippoz
08-26-2003, 02:40 PM
thanks for the information all, i guess ill have to actually spend some more money on this, i bue itll be cheaper than recharging from scratch.

AZmike
08-27-2003, 06:56 AM
I still don't see why you can't use the same AC compressor on the new engine and leave it full of freon the whole time that you're working on it.

PhydeauX
08-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Assuming you're putting the 86 engine into the 89 just unbolt it from the old engine, don't disconnect any lines, and tie it up out of the way. Swap the engine and bolt the ac back on.

andy

Mac
08-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Yep, you are absolutely right. I was definately mixed up. If you are putting an engine into the car with the good A/C then do exactly what PhydeauX and AZmike said and you should be fine. Sorry about the mix up.

zippoz
08-27-2003, 03:45 PM
thats great! thanks