PDA

View Full Version : HP gain from Nitrous?

kevins89lxi
06-15-2002, 08:52 AM
What should I do to my engine before I install a nitrous system onto it? I have a high mileage engine .
What will the gain in HP be after I install the system?

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 09:06 AM
i think you can't put NOS on an accord it will blow up the engine ! :D

MIKE

Jerren
06-15-2002, 09:13 AM
that would be a big mistake grasshopper.:rolleyes:

88LXi68
06-15-2002, 09:20 AM
why is it a mistake? First off go get a compression test. if all cylinders are firing properly then you are ok. next go get a better ignition system and fuel delivery system. Then you should be ok.

88Ex-i
06-15-2002, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't do it, because you'll most likely blow the engine. Also, our engines make about 110-120hp, so if you stick noz in there, depending on the hp shot, you're still not gonna be making enough to really beat too many cars out there. Seems half the cars out there today are making 200-250 hp anyways. I'd toss nos in if i was already over 250hp. Then you could whoop some ass.

OldSchoolSwap
06-15-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kevins89lxi
What should I do to my engine before I install a nitrous system onto it? I have a high mileage engine .
What will the gain in HP be after I install the system?
You must make sure it is running as good as new. Check compression. Upgrade fuel delivery, I/H/E and Ignition system must be upgraded as well.
Start with the lowest shot possible, about 40 to 50 shot. HP is rated by how many shots of N2O you apply etc. 50 shot = 50 HP.

Check my site for full details and hours of studying how Nitrous works. If you are not carefull and take shortcuts, you will blow up your motor. I had a 50 shot in my A20 and it handled it pretty good.

Jerren
06-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
why is it a mistake? First off go get a compression test. if all cylinders are firing properly then you are ok. next go get a better ignition system and fuel delivery system. Then you should be ok.

its a mistake to put nos in if you have a stocker.

Inabj2
06-15-2002, 04:17 PM
I agree if you put nitrous do it as the last step.

smufguy
06-16-2002, 06:08 PM
we see ppl with corollas and civics with nos in em and they are what 1.8L and 1.6L cylinders? and the compression is close to ours but we have a 2.0. yeah do check your compression, change your seals, gaskets and how about pistons? need new pistons and rings? that would be a better idea if u wanna invest in NOS. besides, talk to justin the turbo dude. i am pretty sure he know a lot to give u a helping hand.

wolfsburg2
07-15-2002, 07:06 AM
do not listen to these guys. i sprayed my 89lxi when it had 120k miles on it already.

here is what you NEED(for a dry kit,most stuff carries over for a wet kit):

(1)1 step colder plugs(ngk's i think are best)
(2)adjustable fuel pressure riser(universal can be picked up for $100)
(3)upgraded ignition(i had the msd 6al)
(4)purge kit(for maximum consistency)
(5)bottle heater(again consistency)

now some not necessary, but nice to have are:

(1)upgraded clutch to handle the power
(2)gauges(n20 pressure and temp)
(3)window switch(activates and deactivates the n20 at preset rpm)
(4)fuel pressure safety switch(cuts off n20 delivery if fuel pressure drops below a certain preset level)

and i am sure i am forgetting a few minor things, but that is the basics. you can run a 50shot no problem on your car. just read up on n20 use. there are certain "rules" you must obey, such as:

(1)never spray n20 for longer than 15 seconds, because cylinder temps will get too hot
(2)never spray n20 within 5 minutes of spraying(wait a while in between spraying runs)
(3)never spray in 5th gear or up a hill(too much load on the engine, rod will be thrown.
(4)never spray below 3000rpm(again, load on an engine)
(5)never run less than premium fuel(higher octane fuel is vital in avoiding detonation)

i think that is it. please feel free to email me if you have any other questions, i don't visit here often, so i might not see a reply. mike

[email protected]