PDA

View Full Version : Need a huge favor

jrojewski
08-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Ok im new to this site. I was recomended by a member on SHO. Anyway I was talking to a guy at work yesterday and he said that his bother was selling a 1987 HOnda Accord Hatchback for $20.00. He said that it didnt run though. I went down after work and checked it out and there was a couple rust spots on the rear divers fender and a couple tears in the passengers seat. When i was looking at the motor i noticed that the only thing that was wrong with the motor was the timing belt was gone.

I have a couple questions
1)What are the major problems to look for on a 1987 Accord hatchback DX?
2)I am also starting to autocross. I am currently driving a 1999 Civic SI but am looking for something a little different to run. How will this car do in a STS class with a 1992 civic si as my main compation.

PLeas help out the 3rd gen Newbie.

blazin3gen
08-26-2003, 07:11 PM
$20?!? get it! its up to u on how hard u want to work on the car but changing a timing belt could cost u a prety penny, so its a wise decission on what u are gonna do, but if i were in your shoes i would most Def get it!

Problems i dunno since i own a fuel injected model i would just say check the Carb spark plugs ect, all the liquids... ugh just Get it! lol

Blue Impact
08-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Get it for $20, sell parts off the car for cheap here to some of the members who really are in despair for parts. You'll make a heck more than $20 for doing that here. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

3G Jester
08-27-2003, 09:49 PM
getttt iittttt

Neuspeed007
08-27-2003, 10:25 PM
if u fix the timing belt, throw in a b16 and a few other mods, the accord would kill the civic, unless it also has some heavy mods,

the accord hb is much lighter then the civic.

Blue Impact
08-27-2003, 10:46 PM
No, you should get a rotary with pistons then turbo the sucker and make sure you add an intake, header, and full exhaust system while you're at it. Don't forget to throw in a stock intercooler from a 98 Mustang. Once you've got these in your Accord, you can then get a GTR emblem and that will guarantee your car to run 11's at the tracks. Have fun and good luck. :D

AZmike
08-28-2003, 12:41 AM
The Accord is not very competive in HS or STS. HS has the new Mini and Celicas and Integras run in STS. The best PAX times I've ever seen from one were around 850 (HS class 94'). Swapping in a B16 would put the car into a fully modified class where it would likely do even worse. You'd either need to be a significantly better driver or have a much better set-up car to beat that Civic with that Accord.

1988starter
08-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Get it and if you don't have emissions there are plenty of mods you can do to the carb to gain more power. Also this is a non interfearance engine so don't worry about the belt.

2twisty
08-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Isn't the A20 an interference engine? If the timing belt is missing I would be concerned that it broke, thus causing the pistons to crash into the valves, effectively destroying the engine.

Now, for $20, I'd buy it and plan to put a different motor in it.

Chad

hondamanlxi
08-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Get it and if you don't have emissions there are plenty of mods you can do to the carb to gain more power. Also this is a non interfearance engine so don't worry about the belt.
:wtf: are you blind

PhydeauX
08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
You'd probaly have better luck with it in sp. It would allow you to run some weber carbs which will help the cars lack of horse power.

2old_honda
08-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Blue Impact
No, you should get a rotary with pistons then turbo the sucker and make sure you add an intake, header, and full exhaust system while you're at it. Don't forget to throw in a stock intercooler from a 98 Mustang. Once you've got these in your Accord, you can then get a GTR emblem and that will guarantee your car to run 11's at the tracks. Have fun and good luck. :D :lol lol

Cyric_accord
08-28-2003, 11:25 AM
WHy the hell would you get pistons in a Rotary engine? Then it destroys the reason of having a rotary... good power outage from a small engine that has very few moving parts? And what the hell is your facination with Ford stock parts? :D are you freakin crazy?! :D

1988starter
08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by hondamanlxi
:wtf: are you blind

Sean says it is non interfearance only 90 and up are

1988starter
08-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 2twisty
Isn't the A20 an interference engine? If the timing belt is missing I would be concerned that it broke, thus causing the pistons to crash into the valves, effectively destroying the engine.

Now, for $20, I'd buy it and plan to put a different motor in it.

Chad

No it is not only 90 and up

Blue Impact
08-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Cyric_accord
WHy the hell would you get pistons in a Rotary engine? Then it destroys the reason of having a rotary... good power outage from a small engine that has very few moving parts? And what the hell is your facination with Ford stock parts? :D are you freakin crazy?! :D

Get yourself a copy of "Mischief 3000" then you'll know what I'm talking about. :D