PDA

View Full Version : Hehe, blew my friends sub

A Dawg Jr
08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
I met up with one of my friends today on my first day of school, and he bough my 301s off me sense I wasn't really putting it to use.. he gave me a smaller 50x4 plus 60 so it was a good deal, anyway we wired it all up, turn it on..... nothing!!! found out that his deck doesn't even have a remote start line, or at least we couldn't find it.. we just ran it from the fuse.. he had 2 coustics in his back 12's.... get it to work, and it's hiting like shit!!! go back and on of his speakers was completly fucked.... we unplugged it and the otherone started hitting HARD!!! Really hard in his civic hatch.. but I don't know how it blew because before we put it in his car we put it in mine and it hit pretty good....

How would that of happened??

zero.counter
08-26-2003, 07:17 PM
If the deck has an antenna out, that could have been used as a remote substitute, since it is powered with the stereo.

As far as why it blew, well you said you ran it from the fuse but to where?

A Dawg Jr
08-26-2003, 08:02 PM
We just ran the remote start line from the Radio fuse... it worked but the speaker blew. he has a warrenty so he can get another one but i though it was kinda odd.

catalin
08-26-2003, 08:26 PM
How do you know that it's blown?? What does it sound like when it's playing??

Stanger
08-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Thats what I was wondering, are you SURE you blew it?????

mykwikcoupe
08-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Now just my professional opinion bvut every deck with pre-amp outputs has a remote amp turn-on wire. Otherwise how would you get the amps to work in conjuction with the deck without ghetto riging it.

A Dawg Jr
08-29-2003, 12:01 PM
We knew it had one, but he had pretty much ghetto rigged his whole set up. It was a 30 dollar deck, and the wires he had in the back looked like a spider web. I didn't bother to even try and get through it. It's no big deal. They took it no questions asked, and actually took both the coustics and gave him a infinity perfect... so he lucked out.

I guess I'm not to sure if it was blown or not, but he said it was. I really don't know what a blown speaker sounds like, but when we got it working, neither of the subs were hitting, they were putting out very very little bass. One of them was sounding clipped and scratchy and really rattleing around and stuff. He unplugged it (I was in the front so I couldn't really tell what was going on with them, they were pretty quite) but once he unplugged the one that sounded bad, the other one started hitting pretty hard... so I don't know what was up. My assumption was that the speaker was blown...

HostileJava
08-29-2003, 01:24 PM
You can easily tell if it speaker was blown by pushing the cone in and out. If you feel it scatching on the way down or up you blew the speaker. There are two ways to do this. Feed it to little power and it the cone will wobble going in and out causing it to warp. The other way is feed it to much power and over heat it, which will have the same warping effect. The other possiblity is a broken voice coil. You can check this by hooking a multimeter up to the speaker and pusing the cone in and out. Watch the resistance, if it's jumping around like crazy you probably have a blown voice coil.

Vanilla Sky
08-29-2003, 03:18 PM
you can not blow with too little power

87dxhatch's sig has a link you should check... it's also the link featured in "get some education people"

87DXHatch
08-29-2003, 03:25 PM
You can't blow a speaker by feeding it too little power, plain and simple. The only ONLY ONLY way that it could ever possible work to kill a speaker with too much power, is to have the wave a PERFECT square wave, sending 2x the RMS to the speaker, and jerking it back and forth, and having the suspension give... but the odds that that actually happens are nil.

You can't blow a speaker by giving it too little power. Simple. Prove me wrong, and I will give you $1.

The "spider-web of wiring" lends me to believe that the amp was wired to a wrong impedance, and put out too much power (though I can't see where it mentions what amp they are/were run off of).

The whole install reeks of "ghetto" so there are a myriad of things that could have gone wrong...

A Dawg Jr
08-29-2003, 03:43 PM
It was deffinitally ghetto man, I didn't know what he had done when I went to his house, so I was surprised at how messy it was. But you know, it's his stuff and he can do what he wants, so I just went ahead and helped him as much as I could.

I know you can't blow a sub with too little wattage, I've read almost that whole page...

catalin
08-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Dawg what happened is really quite simple, most people do it from time to time. The subs were wired out of phase, a simple honest mistake.

What most likely happened is one sub was wired (+) to amp (+) and (-) to amp (-) and the other was wired (+) to amp (-) and (-) to amp (+). Basically one sub was reversed which resulted in a loss of bass.

A Dawg Jr
08-29-2003, 08:57 PM
you know that's probably what happen! I asked him are you sure that you had the + with the + and negative with negative(even though I had no idea what happens when you do that), and he said ya, he had it right.. lol well that's good info to know though. thanks man