PDA

View Full Version : Broken plug in head!!!!1

driftlover78
08-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Somehow I managed to get a car that had a plug that seemed like it was locktited in. any sugesstions to get it out without removing the head??:mad:

pimp86LX
08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
This happened to me with my 88 4-runner. I bought an easy out kit that kind of tapped into the broken plug so you could screw it out. My uncle had bad plug hole in one of his car's so he just threw in a heli' coil thing and it worked out ok.

driftlover78
08-26-2003, 08:03 PM
I spent 6 hours with drills, pb blaster, easy outs and whatever i could find to get it out. I think I have to drill everything out then tap and helicoil... man this suck i just got the car I love it and this happens. same thing happend to my conquest.. I have no luck with cars man:mad: :wtf: :eek: :rant:

BootMachine
08-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by driftlover78
I spent 6 hours with drills, pb blaster, easy outs and whatever i could find to get it out. I think I have to drill everything out then tap and helicoil... man this suck i just got the car I love it and this happens. same thing happend to my conquest.. I have no luck with cars man:mad: :wtf: :eek: :rant:

Get a torque wrench man....maybe your a gorilla beast man and put like 500 foot pounds on every nut and bolt!

shepherd79
08-27-2003, 03:49 AM
spray some PB blaster and let is sit. use long wrench for more torque.

jb2wheels
08-27-2003, 04:29 AM
always put a dab of anti-seize on the plugs when putting them in to prevent this

markmdz89hatch
08-27-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by jb2wheels
always put a dab of anti-seize on the plugs when putting them in to prevent this

:werd:

I have also used Teflon tape and wrapped the threads in it before replacing.

joebeets
08-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Probably cross-threaded and just muscled in--was the engine completely cool when you tried to remove it? Very important--dissimilar metals, expansion rates, etc. Anyway, careful of shavings falling into the engine if you drill. This alone is reason to putt-putt to a machine shop, who will have no trouble getting it out and putting an insert in.

driftlover78
08-27-2003, 04:06 PM
all I know is whoever put this plug in , I would hate to meet him in a back ally somewhere:crying: , he(or she) has to be a brute. I cant put a wrench on it, there is only a little bit of thread in the head now, I twisted 3 easyout handles trying to get it out, and yes I was turning it the right(re: left) way.:sadwave:

anchovies
08-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Torch the sides where it sits for a while. Then try again. All else fails, then break the top and use a small saw against the thread (when top is broken a small saw can go into the plug) and start sawing til you see the head threads. Then chisel away. It should crumble in when the tension is gone. Then helicoil.