PDA

View Full Version : i know this been talk about before. . . . , but cai*

accordlxi2.0
08-26-2003, 09:00 PM
i know this been talked about before but i wanna know the benefit's for a cold air intake for the lx/lxi?

does anyone know the hp, torque, mpg , gain's for them?

i wanna make em instead of buying one cause there are some raw ass looking one's here.

so can i use a steel bent pipe from autozone or what.

oh i already used the shearch button too! which made me decide to make one.

88LX-iSedan
08-26-2003, 09:11 PM
http://www.87accordlxi.com/coldair/coldair.htm.. This has all the info needed to make a cai. Btw, Where you at in TN?

accordlxi2.0
08-27-2003, 05:14 AM
cool but i'll notice a difference if i use a metal exhaust pipe from autozone? also does it HAVE to be straight in order to get the porformance out of it ? btw ,actully i was born in knoxville but moved to chicago when i was 'bout 14 year's old.
in fact next year for the hell of it i'm gonna go down there and see the rest of my family. plus since i like driving.

markmdz89hatch
08-27-2003, 06:41 AM
the CAI should be as straight as possible. You want to avoid any unnessary bends in the piping to allow better, faster, less restricted air travel through the pipe and straight to the t/b. Just a CAI will not give you huge gains, it's more like just a good place to start. Any car will be more happy if it can breath better, and that's all you're doing with this. The CAI is not just a one number hp gain. Meaning, you can't really say the CAI will give 4 hp, and exhaust 10, header 12, etc. The more work you do to your car (performance wise), the more hp that CAI is accounting for. The metal used does not have to be high tech. at all. Just as long as it contains the air, and allows it a straight shot into the t/b. One SCCA racer that was built years ago (a 3G LX-i hatch) use dryer exhaut hose as the CAI and it obviously got the job done.

88 Accord DX
08-27-2003, 06:45 AM
haha i thought i was the only one that used dryer exhaust. the only problem is i noticed the dryer exhaust has some small holes all down it. so im wondering if its hurting more than its helping.

accordlxi2.0
08-27-2003, 02:35 PM
cool so next week i'm gonna do it but one more thing does it have to be a k&n?
has this been dynoed?

NXRacer
08-27-2003, 02:56 PM
it can be whatever you want it to be. Ive heard that other aftermarket filters that are cheaper actually work better. Just make sure that whatever kind you get you can wash it so you wont be going through filters every month. having a CAI dirties up the filter pretty quickly.

accordlxi2.0
09-01-2003, 07:47 PM
well i seen what the round part for the civic look's like and i seen some exhaust pipes at auto zone.
now my next question is should i use some of the engine/brake paint to coat it.
also should i get the the air from between from where the firewall where the black box is (under the baclk box)
or where the original intake hole is?

Magny
09-02-2003, 03:20 PM
ok dude listen if you are gonna paint on the piping for the intake, get the stuff that has ceramic in it, from what i heard is that the ceramic holds heat out alot better than the other stuff.

Also for your air location, try to get it in the front of your radiator as much as you can. thats the best location. if ya cant get it in there you could use the factory hole, or put it where you scoop it up from underneath your car, air flows down there too :lol

accordlxi2.0
09-12-2003, 06:01 PM
i got the part (civic intake) how come noone state's that you have to cut the hole bigger.
as for the lxi i just need the steel pipe.
but i need to know if it's o.k. if i mount the bleed valve's on the side.
and the a.i.r.s is okay in there too right?

Hash_man_Se_i
09-12-2003, 10:16 PM
What are your thoughts on heat wrapping a CAI??? Would this keep it from getting warm, making the air cooler? I'm just curious cuz I am getting a cai, and have access to heat wrap.

accordlxi2.0
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
if i put this on also, will i pass emission's.
i'm still gonna use the bleed valve's and the iat sensor?

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2003, 11:18 AM
MY FRIEND HAS A CAI FOR A 92 CIVIC WILL IT FIT??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

dXsquared
09-21-2003, 11:36 AM
buy it and find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travis

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2003, 11:39 AM
what 'bout emmission's

dXsquared
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
no difference... it will help it breath better... so less emissions

Travis