PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems..need some help.....pics!

89AccordNate
06-15-2002, 09:31 AM
I have some brake problems. Whenever I drive, intermitantly I will hear a grinding noise. So today I took it all apart and I looked at it. One pad is really worn, and the other looks almost new. The caliper only swung up about half way it seemed. Shouldnt it swing up further (check out the pic). The rotors seem fine, but I have never touched them on my car. Whenever I push down the pedal, they feel tight..but it might had been so gradual of a wear that I dont even notice that their any different. I didnt have to compress the caliper to put it back into the rotor..it just slid right in. Shouldnt it push out? I need some help here. I know the grinding is from the pads because when I look close..a tad amount of metal is coming out it looks like. Its not the heat shield, I bent that back far enough to make sure it wasnt that..

Here are the pics:

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/brake1.jpg
http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/brake2.jpg

Nate.

Defiant[YD]
06-15-2002, 09:56 AM
i had the same problem last summer. I had to get it fixed by a local mechanic.

89AccordNate
06-15-2002, 10:20 AM
That doesnt help much.........why even post..

Nate.

BoredRec
06-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
That doesnt help much.........why even post..

Nate.

So you can increase your post count, duh!

It sounds like a caliper problem. It's probably sticking on the slides. Need to regrease those. If that doesn't cure it then you might have to look into getting rebuilt calipers.

OldSchoolSwap
06-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Get "A" or both calipers. They run about $25 each rebuilt that is. That'll fix the problem. You piston is seasing up.

AccordEXI
06-15-2002, 01:24 PM
From the pics it looks like you need new brake pads. The grinding sound is the wear bar of the pad touching the rotor. Also, be sure to free up the caliper sliders when you install the pads.

89AccordNate
06-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok, I took it all apart, the side that was rubbing obviously has a frozen caliper. It has NO play in it, and it can move up as high as in the pic. Is there ANY WAY to fix that without going and buying a rebuilt calipers? I put it all together, new pads, new rotor.

On the drivers side, well thats a different story. I went to take the 2 screws out to take the rotor off, and they stripped!! So thats a new delmina, is there anyway to get those screws out safely? Their stripped to peices, and I dont know how to get them out. So right now im running a passenger side with a new rotor, new pads and one frozen caliper and a drivers side with nothing new..but the pads look almost brand new on the drivers side.

So shitty!! But atleast the grinding sound is gone, I took it out for a test run and it works fine....

Need some help with the caliper and getting the screws out..so respond to that!!!!

Nate.

Sean
06-15-2002, 07:54 PM
undo the caliper bracket from the spindle and remove the brake hose form the caliper. now take the whole assemply and mount it in a vice. heat with a nice hot torch for sevral minutes and see if the bolts lossen up. if this doesn;t work head to the junk yard and aquire new cliper brakect and caliper. head to pep boys or some other store and buy a caliper rebuild kit. follow instructions.

also when at the junk yard make sure to dissassemlbe everything before leaving to ensure that no parts are damaged.

good luck nate

Sabz5150
06-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Didja paint those white, or just coat them in dogshit and leave 'em in the sun? :lol

(Sorry had to... Since it's Nate's thread, it lacks his random comment :lol )

-5150 :bandit:

OldSchoolSwap
06-16-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
Is there ANY WAY to fix that without going and buying a rebuilt calipers?

On the drivers side, well thats a different story. I went to take the 2 screws out to take the rotor off, and they stripped!! So thats a new delmina, is there anyway to get those screws out safely? Their stripped to peices, and I dont know how to get them out.
Need some help with the caliper and getting the screws out..so respond to that!!!!

Nate.
That happened to me once. Just use a drill, and drill right through the screw and take it off. Once the screw is out buy one of those Hilacoil kits and follow the directions, this will add new fresh threads to the damaged hole that you created and fix it as good as new. It'll run you about $10 instead of ripping your hole suspention to pices.

About the caliper, I think there is a rebuild kit for it but why go through all that mission? Just get $25 and get a rebuilt one :rolleyes:

There! all your problems solved for about $35 bux! :flip:

OldSchoolSwap
06-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Oh, and why is your rotor & pads painted white? **cough**rigg**cough**:flipa:

smufguy
06-16-2002, 06:31 PM
yeah a calliper from the junk should work. just press on the piston and see if it goes back smoothly (which u already know). my best bet is get it from the junk.

for the frozen bolts, try heating like ppl suggested or use a dremel and cut thru the bolt. have u tried a pipe wrench? they get everything out. and oh yeah nate, loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the paint on your coooooool calipers. maybe the calipers could not stand the awsome paint on them and they were just ashamed and are unable to work properly. :lol :flip:

89AccordNate
06-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Haha. I painted just the calipers, yes I know better then to paint the rotor too! I hit the top of the rotor whenever I was painting them. Usually I use plastic wrap to cover it all off, but I used newspaper, and well....one gust of wind while I was painting, and wallah..a nice white stripe! But, it didnt matter since the rim covered it. I couldnt stand the sight of rusted calipers when I put my rims on, so I painted them. Let me guess, thats rice too? I figured.....anything painted that isnt stock, is rice these days.

So :flip: you guys too :D

Nate.

BoredRec
06-16-2002, 11:03 PM
The easiest way to get those rotor screws out when they strip is with a center punch and a hammer. Just set the punch to the side of the screw head, and hit it with the hammer in a CCW motion. Eventually the screw will turn enuf to where you can turn it with your finger. After you get the screws out, promptly throw them away (don't really need them...that's what the brake pads and wheel lugs are for).

Sean
06-17-2002, 07:46 PM
before attempting to remove rotor srcews its very helpful to smack them with a good heavy hammer first. this helps to releive the tension and get em loose. also the rotors screws are very useful for ensuring the rotor is flat against the hub. buy knew screws espcially when using aftermarket wheels with hub pilot rings.