PDA

View Full Version : sub wiring

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 02:15 PM
ok i just hooked my new cd player up and it comes with rca jacks for the sub woofer but i found the sub ground wire and i was wondering where i hook that up too?????

Bloodlust
08-27-2003, 02:18 PM
You sure it says Sub Ground wire? Are you sure its not Remote Ground?

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
yeah its the same wire from the amp. it says ground at the amp connections, i have everything hooked right i just can't get the sub working

Bloodlust
08-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Does the amp turn on when you turn your head unit on?

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 02:41 PM
i just checked and it doesn't turn on?>???

Bloodlust
08-27-2003, 02:45 PM
That would mean the remote ground wire (usually blue) that runs from your head unit all of the way back to your amp isn't hooked up. The remote ground's purpose is to tell the amp to turn on when the headunit turns on. So obviously when the remote ground isnt hooked up your amp won't turn on and finally your sub that is attached to that amp will not work. So you need to make sure that the remote ground wire hooked from the back of your headunit runs all the way back to your amp and connects into a terminal called R.Ground or Remote or something liket that. If that doesnt turn your amp on check your fuses and make sure they are not blown.

bboipinoy112
08-27-2003, 02:46 PM
amp ground wire bolt to chassis .. i preffer the seat belt bolt .. remote from amp to headunit remote? .. power from amp straight to battery ..

Bloodlust
08-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by bboipinoy112
amp ground wire bolt to chassis .. i preffer the seat belt bolt .. remote from amp to headunit remote? .. power from amp straight to battery ..

Why do that? Then the amp is constantly being powered and the battery will keep getting drained... unless I am missing something....:confused:

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 02:49 PM
ok let me go try that

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 03:06 PM
ok i made sure the wire was connected and i found the power supply coming out of the head unit but when i attached it too the amp it works for a second then the head unit turns off?????

89AcCOrDmike
08-27-2003, 03:16 PM
do u have your ground wire hooked to the chassi of the car?

xdeathx
08-27-2003, 03:17 PM
yep

A Dawg Jr
08-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Find that radio fuse, run your remote start line from that to the amp. Make a switch that detatches the wire so it won't drain you batt..

Instead of your remote start line if you can't find that, use the anntenna out from the deck, and run it to your amp

bboipinoy112
08-27-2003, 05:32 PM
if u connected the remote from the amp to the headunits remote .. wont it turn off the amp when u turn of the headunit ? iono .. i just hook my amp remote up to a switch .. did u check the fuse on your powerwire ? and make shure all your connections arent loose .. and i remember when my head unit kept turning off was because my battery was draind .. so try starting up your car? iono just my 2cents

zero.counter
08-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by A Dawg Jr
Find that radio fuse, run your remote start line from that to the amp. Make a switch that detatches the wire so it won't drain you batt..

Instead of your remote start line if you can't find that, use the anntenna out from the deck, and run it to your amp
Looks like you learned something afterall! :D

Here is a simple rundown of a basic install:
Always disconnect the ground from the battery.

1)Install Headunit with a good chassis ground
2)Wire the remote from the stereo using either the remote out or antenna out (usually blue
3)Wire the power cable from the battery terminal using a secure clamp and ensure that your inline fuse is wired in the engine compartment. Also drill your hole into the firewall and insert a rubber grommet to prevent shorting on the sharp edges.
3)Plug your RCA patch cables into the HU
4)Run your RCA/Remote and Power cables on the opposite sides of the car, preferrably under the door sill/carpet area
5)Mount your amp appropriately and then plug in the RCA/Remote wires into the amp.
6)Do the same for the power cable
7)Find a good chassis ground near the area where you mounted the amp.
8)Wire the speaker level outputs to the sub/speakers, meticulously paying attention to the polaritys.
9)Double check all connections, make sure that the power cable is not shorting or being crushed so that the jacket is being cut.
10)Re-attach the ground to the battery
11)Set ignition to accessory and trun the radio on.

From there, I would check the power LED on the amp for Juice and turn up slowly to verify that it is pushing the speakers. And you are done.

Again, this was a short run through of installing a single amp. If you notice, I did not include specifics like mounting preferences and locations, product suggestions, and other misc. items.

Good Luck.

Vinny
08-28-2003, 05:05 AM
OK I read the replies over and over and over and I'm scratching my head here. OK heres the deal, you SHOULD run your amp directly to the battery using the appropriate size wire, most Kits use 4ga or 8 ga wire but what you need depends on distance from the power source, amperage draw, current etc. Now heres what has me scratching my head.............:huh: Running the amp directly to the battery WILL NOT........I reapeat WILL NOT drain your battery. If its hooked up correctly and you use you remote out/power antenna/BLUE wire out of the head unit to the amp the amp will only turn on when the head unit is on. That what the blue wire is there for to REMOTELY turn on and off your amps. Read your manuals before you try doing an install, even if you think you know what you are doing. I had 4 years doing big $$ installs at Hawk Electronics in Dallas before going into the military for 10 years as an Avionics tech. I have a degree in electrical engineering and am currently an avionics field service rep. Even I have to break down and read before I start installing things, even in my Honda

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by My Cousin Vinny
OK I read the replies over and over and over and I'm scratching my head here. Now heres what has me scratching my head.............:huh: Running the amp directly to the battery WILL NOT........I reapeat WILL NOT drain your battery. If its hooked up correctly and you use you remote out/power antenna/BLUE wire out of the head unit to the amp the amp will only turn on when the head unit is on. That what the blue wire is there for to REMOTELY turn on and off your amps. Read your manuals before you try doing an install, even if you think you know what you are doing.

There is nothing to scratch your head about, I have posted in plain english the basic method for a single sub install. That is unless you were not referring to my post.

I had 4 years doing big $$ installs at Hawk Electronics in Dallas before going into the military for 10 years as an Avionics tech. I have a degree in electrical engineering and am currently an avionics field service rep. Even I have to break down and read before I start installing things, even in my Honda

Experience dictates our method of action. I don't believe in the not plugging from the battery straight to the amp thing. I quoted my old buddy A DAWG on taking my advice on a previous thread about the remote.

Magny
08-30-2003, 05:13 PM
Damn dude, everyone here is hella giving u crazy sh*t lol. Too bad u weren't in Cali by the bay I would help ya out personally and get it done straight for ya. I do my own installations and my friends too if they needed it. Never had any problems, plus my installations are clean like the pro's do.

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Magny
and get it done straight for ya.
:lol ROFLMAO, and no one else here can right?

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Seems to me that no one can. Not tryin to prove anything, just helpin a brutha out ya kno :werd:

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Seems to me that no one can. Not tryin to prove anything, just helpin a brutha out ya kno :werd:
You couldn't possibly be saying that my advice was flawed? If so then rock on newb! :super:

If you ever visit San Antonio, come visit me and check out the systems in the old 240sx and Accord. Besides, MECP certification means nothing :smokin:
You can check out my newly installed MB Quart Q Series 6.5 separates on the 240. I decided to continue using the factory loaction for the tweets. Man, it sound sweet ass.

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Cool, BTW I ain't no newb on car stereo installs. Had a hella lot of people asking if I had a professional install my shit in my 98 Civic VP that I had. Even my friends had people asking then the same question. Plus I didn't say anything about your advice being flawed as you can see. Also wtf is with the MECP certification thing, your saying it's worthless??? Why is that, not saying I have one, cause I don't. Just curious cause i was thinkin of getting some sort of certification so i can get a job doing installs, instead of doing them without pay.

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 06:38 PM
I got the cert back in 96 while exploring college life and making some money on the side. The lowrider/bass head thing was still in, so I was slammed at work (best buy installs, yeah I know) and after I quit, did the freelance thing. I eventually lost focus on ever caring, and then the A/V for Auto boom hit and I started looking at it with a new ray of light.

But now, school is important, probably the most important aspect of focus in my life.

I did not mean newb in installs, just for the board. No offense man, we cool?

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:42 PM
yeah np, I hate that thing sayin newbie I am a LX user thats about to make it an LX-R (no not the type R engine) with the engine I am gonna build up in my spare time.

For everyones info its gonna be the A20 fully modded and banged out. LOL by the time I am done with it, it will probably be something like a A24 when I am done with it LOL

bboipinoy112
08-30-2003, 06:43 PM
hey zero.counter .. show some pics of ur system

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 06:44 PM
yeah np, I hate that thing sayin newbie I am a LX user thats about to make it an LX-R (no not the type R engine) with the engine I am gonna build up in my spare time.

For everyones info its gonna be the A20 fully modded and banged out. LOL by the time I am done with it, it will probably be something like a A24 when I am done with it LOL
Sounds bad ass. I think Matt, A.K.A. ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›, also calls his car LX-R or something.

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Ya know, I hate that guy. He's nuthin but talk, and doesn't prove anything to back his talk. I saw his so-called car, looks like it was photochopped or something cause it doesn't look real.(wish I knew where to get that prog. LOL). Doesn't even look like it's really his. But other than that, he needs to back off of people trying to help others instead of putting them down.