PDA

View Full Version : catalitic converter/Please Help!!!!!

lanman024
08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if the catalitic converter on the 88 lxi are welded on or clamped on??

1988starter
08-27-2003, 05:53 PM
it is bolted on but the bolts often require a torch or cutting to remove.

Magny
08-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Nah you don't need a torch or cut it at all, just get some of that rust buster stuff. Spray it on there heavy, wait a minute or so, then take a breaker bar with the right socket and bust it off. Had to use it for my car to get to the cat.

Kevin
08-31-2003, 07:50 AM
ya gut that bitch-You should feel a big diffrence with it gutted especially with a header and exhaust!!! But it will get loud!!!:super: :omg:

Justin86
08-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Yea I had to put on some penetrating oil on the bolts to get them loose enough. But now I don't have a cat. 2.25" from header back to 40 series with a 3.5" tip. Oh yea baby!:D

toastyghost
08-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Justin, be careful when talking about exhaust gases on the board. There is always an ecofem activist hippy lurking around the corner waiting to tell you about how catalytic converters have helped to dismantle our patriarchal oppression of wildlife or something...

deadlight
08-31-2003, 07:39 PM
Then you politely tell them to kiss your ass because one Honda Accord without a cat still puts out less than all of those old muscle cars and 40's 50's era cars that don't even have to meet emissions.

Dibbs
09-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by toastyghost
Justin, be careful when talking about exhaust gases on the board. There is always an ecofem activist hippy lurking around the corner waiting to tell you about how catalytic converters have helped to dismantle our patriarchal oppression of wildlife or something...

:werd: I wonder if they even know that Honda was the first car manufacturer to engineer a car that met federal emmisions guidelines w/o a Cat Converter.

The hippies also need to realize every time a volcano erupts, it releases more ozone depleating CFCs that the human race can produce in one year. Considering 2-3 of the 500 volcanos above sea level erupt every year, it puts things in perspective a bit.

BTW. My car passes emmisions testing and I do NOT have a cat converter on my car.