PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Boost From The Turbo - Quick Question

BootMachine
08-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey guys....sorry to make you dish out more turbo info but I already read the turbo threads and know a lot about turbos and still have just a few intelligent questions to ask so please bare with me as I search for answers!

OK...lets start...Lets say I wanna run 6 PSI from the tubro into my A20A. I have (pretend) a Garret T3 which I ASSUME can pump out more than 6 PSI. How do I control how much pressure comes from the turbo.

Is it the wastegate or the BOV?

Here is what I ASSUME.

The BOV is vaccuum controlled and only lets air out of the INTAKE SIDE when you take your foot off the gas to prevent the intake charge from slamming into the butterfly and going back through the intake pipe back into the compressor? YES?NO?

The Wastegate is what allows the exhaust gas to flow AROUND the turbine to regulate pressure from the turbo (regulate turbine RPM's). YES?NO?

How do you adjust the wastegate....say one day I wanna run 6 psi but I have forged internals and some kid wants to race me....can I jump out at a red light with a wrench and a screw driver and adjust the wastegate for more boost?

How do you know where to start with the wastegate? How do I know I'm not going to install a used turbo and first thing it does it try and pump out a million pounds of boost? Do you start at zero and work your way up to the desired boost?

This is all for now...after this I need to know about a small amt. about ignition control and fuel control and then I will know how to turbo my A20. I can do the rest on my own...just a few more questions though. Hpoefully I can get some answers!

A20A1
08-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Isn't the wastegate like a spring loaded valve? Like FPR's

88 Accord DX
08-28-2003, 12:22 PM
get an apexi boost controller

BootMachine
08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Common guys...this is how the other threads got killed. People just shouting things out!

Respond to the questions I have!

"Get a boost Controller"

ummm..ok.....what for? How about the other questions. I need to learn the basic functionality of the BOV and waistgate before I can go and work with a boost controller.

What is function of a boost controller.

To control boost! WISE ASS (beat someone to it)

NO...HOW DOES IT WORK! Does it electronically control the waistegate or something?

88 Accord DX
08-28-2003, 12:28 PM
here dammit:

http://www.z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?229

Mr. "i gotta know how shit works"

BootMachine
08-28-2003, 12:36 PM
...and thank you!

My questions have been answered 100%.

What I will do it search for a manual adjustable wastegate! Turn a screw or something to adjust tension on the spring!

If there is such a thing...

PhydeauX
08-28-2003, 12:45 PM
The way most do it with a t3 would be to use the stock waste gate and use a bleed valve (usually sold as a manual boost controler or a boost valve or some other name) to control the boost. But even an aquarium bleed valve will work. You just bleed off some pressure in the line going to the wastegate actuator to make it think its not making as much boost as it is.

andy

88 Accord DX
08-28-2003, 12:50 PM
come one bootmachine i cant do everything for you:

http://www.jscspeed.com/mk4/boostcontroller.htm

turfnnsurf
08-28-2003, 01:06 PM
OK, here is some more info for you Boot...

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

I made this exact boost controller for my DSM and for two other people with DSM's. I also made one just like it for Maurice's(Coroncho80) friend Leo, for his Mazda. It cost me about $8.00 all parts included. If you read the install instructions carefully you will see that it regulates the vacuum between the BOV and Manifold then opens the wastegate to keep the boost at a set level.

Right now I am running 16PSI on my Big 16G turbo, With no boost spike at all.. The Turbo starts spooling up around 2600RPM and by 3300RPM i have full boost all the way to redline. I have run the same MBC up to 21PSI (with no BOOST SPIKE) on my car but only with race gas to avoid detonation. Talk about a kick in the azz when the boost hits!!!!!