PDA

View Full Version : got a new motor!!!!

3rdgenSLIMER
06-15-2002, 01:30 PM
i got a new motor, cause i f'd up my other one. its the same motor i have now, but its a j-spec!!! i don't know all the differences and all, but i was hopin someone knew and could tell me. the new engine is only goin to have like 20-35k miles on. so im happy about that. but anyways, someone help about the specs!! thanks fellas!

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 01:56 PM
j spec does that mean JDM ? Japan ?

MIKE

3rdgenSLIMER
06-15-2002, 01:57 PM
yes it does!!!!!!

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 02:11 PM
here you go here is a list of honda engines and its specs !

don't you know the model of the engine ( e.g. B16A , A20A1 ) ??

MIKE

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 02:11 PM
here you go here is a list of honda engines and its specs on my site !

http://www.geocities.com/honda_club_egypt/engines.htm

don't you know the model of the engine ( e.g. B16A , A20A1 ) ??

MIKE

3rdgenSLIMER
06-15-2002, 09:14 PM
i know for a fact that its not a b-series! or i would be excited! but he told me that its the exact engine i have, but its straight from japan, and if i wanted to upgrade things like the piston rings and stuff like that, i would have to order it straight from japan. so i figured, its a j-spec engine. if so, i wanna know how much better it is than the american made ones!

CARBurn
06-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Oh, this ought to be interesting.

just thought I'd ask, how did you get a hold of a J-spec motor?

3rdgenSLIMER
06-15-2002, 09:50 PM
don't ask me, he told me that he gets them all from the same place. from where, i don't know. but im real happy he can get one for my car!

ACCORD EX
06-16-2002, 12:13 AM
if it is not a B series so it' A20A2 ( Carbed ) or A20A4 ( EFI )
Both have the same specs as A20A1 , A20A3 but they have less emmission control !

MIKE

A20A1
06-16-2002, 01:38 AM
My entire car came from Japan... but it's not really J-Spec... because it was built for the American market.

Your new engine should work with other parts ment for the A20 efi or a20 carb

smufguy
06-19-2002, 08:24 PM
specs. its not gonna be a big change considering ur gonna hook up that motor to your american based car and besides. what was that motor doing for around 20-35k miles? sitting in a driveway and got hit??? unless it was a granny car. it the GUY ur talking about a trust worthy source? i mean u do know how to distinguish bwt a motor from japan and one scrapped from a locak junk yard right? does it have a warrenty for that? how much are you spending on that stock motor of yours? hope he does not rip you off man.

YK86
06-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Japanese cars (on average) don't get driven very far but there's alot of hours on them. It's like rush hour all the time in most cities there. Going from where my grandparents live to Tokyo takes over an 1.5 hours on the expressway but the distance travelled is only 50 kms (31 miles).

Lockey
06-19-2002, 11:27 PM
because im sure my b20a has about the same power as my skyline had (150 hp)

it picks up quicker because its lighter but im sure ity has more then 110hp...unless thats at the wheels

3rdgenSLIMER
06-21-2002, 11:13 PM
japan has some wild emissions. most everyone doesn't drive their car over 45k miles. so those engines are then sold to people here mostly. because they are better in just about every way. ill tell ya'll how much better it is when i get it back. im waiting on my new clutch so he can do it all at once.

YK86
06-22-2002, 12:01 AM
They have a thing called "Sha-ken" which means car inspection which you have to renew ever few years. As the car gets older, it costs more to keep on the road. So for most people, it becomes uneconomical to keep a car that is old on the road. For example, you can buy a fully loaded 90 Integra Xsi (with B16A) with body kit and mags in mint condition for what equals $1000 US because the Sha-ken has expired. I feel sorry for Japanese people but it's very good for people overseas (especially NZ, Philipenes, Australia, etc). Check out this page and see if you can find your engine in the 3rd gen Accord section: http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/accord/index.html

POS carb
06-23-2002, 06:10 PM
get the block serial #'s so we can tell you what you've got. What's weird tho is that in Japan they had like 1.8 accords (probably 2nd gen Lude motors)

RobT5580
06-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Ok here is what i found to be different from my experience with my swap from Nippon Motors. I bought a JDM A20 and put in in my accord last august and the one difference i found was that on the thermostat housing it didnt have the threaded hole for on of the sensors used on the USDM engine. Everthing else was exactly the same other than it came from an auto trans and i had a 5spd. But i was impressed that the motor was in real good shape but i didnt chance it and did a rebuild of all new seals,belts,alt, oil pump etc. I did it mainly because that was my daily driver and i needed a reliable car but now it is just my spare car......

3rdgenSLIMER
06-26-2002, 08:02 AM
did you notice any performance increase in the new motor at all????

ACCORD EX
06-26-2002, 11:14 AM
guys ! JDM A20 !!
there only 4 A20 motors

A20A1 = USDM carbed
A20A3 = USDM EFI
A20A2 = JDM carbed (like mine )
A20A4 = JDM EFI !

here is a pic of my engine ! A20A2 , it's diifferent is smome things distributer cap , less emmisions , ...

3rdgenSLIMER
06-26-2002, 11:50 AM
ok! bad news! either i read it wrong or i did, and im pissed off! it was still wrapped up and everything, but i think its a a18. if it is, im goin to be pissed!!! pray for me fellas.

ACCORD EX
06-26-2002, 12:17 PM
my prayers ! :bow: :bow: :bow:

MIKE

RobT5580
06-26-2002, 07:46 PM
I did notice gains but only because the motor was rebuilt with all new seals and all when i got it and it had less mileage to begin with. My motor was beat and it was nice to get a better engine under the hood. When i got the motor it was in very good shape except for the pulleys being damaged so if you wanted to u can get away with just dropping it it but i needed my car to be reliable so i spent a lot of money on OEM parts to do it. And if you did get shipped the wrong motor i would send it back and go through Nippon Motors if that is not where u did. I have no complaints on what i got.