PDA

View Full Version : Did my 5 speed swap!!!

BITESIZE
08-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, thanks to my friend Vern, He and I successfully did my 5 speed swap this passed weekend. It was quite an experience. However I'm still trying to get the cruise control to work and to get the key out, and why the "f" does my car start with the clutch not pushed in? Any Suggestions, please let me know. It was alot of work and time to do it, but well worth it.

Check out my cardomain site for pictures of it.

dhcarss
08-29-2003, 05:14 AM
Your car starting without the clutch pushed in is because of the switch that is located on the clutch bracket in side the car. Mine is bad so I can do that to , I would guess that since you car was an auto you wouldnt have the wiring for that switch, I could be wrong. I dont know about the key or the cruise. sorry, I imagine that you can tell a big driving difference.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Congrats on the swap! Mine's like dhcarss's, starts without clutch in, too! :rolleyes: You'll have too install the switch, hopefully the wiring is there!
About the cruise, when you removed your auto shifter, along went the disengage switch for the cruise, leaving an open circuit. There's a pink wire that needs to go to ground, for the disengage signal input, for it to work.You'll have too install a disengage switch on the clutch to replace it. Don't know if both are in the same unit or seperate. :confused:

shepherd79
08-29-2003, 04:39 PM
mine starts without clutch pushed in. i checked and i have the stupid switch and everything is connected.
i don't care.
it is working so don't mess with it.

BITESIZE
08-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I was wondering what that pink wire went to. So if I ground the pink wire which will close the circuit, the cruise should work?

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-30-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by BITESIZE
I was wondering what that pink wire went to. So if I ground the pink wire which will close the circuit, the cruise should work?

If it's the pink wire that goes to the auto shifter, yes. The wiring schematic shows at a white 10 pin connector. There are 6 green wires, 1 black, and 1 pink wire, that i can see and all shifter does is connect the pink to ground (black) in D4, D3, or 2

BITESIZE
08-30-2003, 08:17 AM
So what you are saying is when in the automatic the shifter connects the pink with the D4 D3 D2 to make the cruise work.

Also if can you drive in D4 with the cruise on and bump the shifter into neutral (will the cruise stay on or shut off). And will the keys come out if you leave it in neutral?

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-30-2003, 09:20 AM
The diagram shows the pink wire being grounded when the shifter is in 2, D3 or D4 so when the shifter is in P, R or nuetral, the pink wire isn't grounded, and the cruise won't engage, or will shut off if engaged. Almost the same on a stick, but the pink gets grounded when the clutch is released and and opens when the clutch is pushed in, disengaging the cruise. Don't know anything about the key switch but on an automatic, doesn't the shifter have to be in park to remove the key?

BITESIZE
08-31-2003, 12:04 PM
The shifter has to be in park to remove the key. So I need to figure a way out to get the car to think it is in park all the time. The pink wire sounds like it should work. I'll try it and see. Also that diagram you are looking at, is it in the chilton/haynes manual?

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Neither, factory electrical troubleshooting manual. There's a grn/wht wire at the plug that you could ground that is the same as being in park. Don't know if that will cause any problems because doing that also sends the same ground to the "emission control" for some reason?? Start interlock of some sort? I don't really know! :confused: Do You need anything in particular?

BITESIZE
09-01-2003, 03:31 PM
I grounded the green/white wire. It worked and the key came out. As for the pink wire, it didn't work by grounding it. The light on the cruise control button isn't working at all. There is power going to the button, but no power going to the light. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the clutch switch.

88LXi/87CRXSi
09-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Clutch switch should be the same pink wire, so I don't think that's it. You say there's power going to the main cruise switch, so the light should come on if the switch, bulb and ground are good. Even without the light on, check to see if you have 12 volts at the light green wire going to the brake pedal switch, that should tell you if the main switch is ok. Also while your there make sure the switch for the brake is adjusted so that there's continuity between the pins the light green wire and the grey wire go to when the brake pedal is fully released.

BITESIZE
09-01-2003, 06:57 PM
I got the light to turn on ( on the push button switch) I went and test drove my car with the pink wire grounded and then I pluged back in auto shifter (and put the switch in D4.) No cruise yet. Then all of a sudden the green light on the push button switch went off, so I think i have a bad connection somewhere. My electro tech meter said there is about 12.8 volts going to the push button switch.

Also can't I just connect the Pink and black wire that is on the clutch switch?

I'm just glad I can get my key out now.

BITESIZE
09-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Also, while I was under there is saw a yellow plastic connector, what does that go to? It just has two wire pins. And it isn't plugged into anything.

I'm almost wondering I didn't plug back in or put the right plugs together after puting the steering column back on. Are the plastic connectors all different?

88LXi/87CRXSi
09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BITESIZE
Also can't I just connect the Pink and black wire that is on the clutch switch?

Yes, that's what the clutch switch does. I looked at my clutch pedal and it only has on switch on it with two wires for the cruise disengage. That explains why my car starts without the clutch being depressed, NO Start Interlock!!:lol :lol

Now about the light going out that's weird, should stay on! Here's a link to the test procedure if you need it:

Cruise main switch test (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Cruise%20main%20switch%20test.jpg)

As far as that yellow connector (mine looks white), you didn't mention the color of the two wires. If one is light green with a red stripe and the other is light green with a black stripe, figure out were it goes, otherwise the set/resume buttons aren't connected!
Here's a link to the cruise wiring diagram if you need it:

Cruise Control wiring diagram (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Cruise%20Control%20wiring%20diagram.jpg)

pric
09-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Congrates on the swap hope you get the bugs worked out. So does it feel a little quiker? When are you taking it the track? That would be nice to see some time comparisons between auto and manual

BITESIZE
09-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Hopefully I'll be at the track this coming spring. Fall has settled so it will be another 7 months at least. My car is at least 2 seconds quicker. Hope to run a 16.5 quarter mile.

paynt3r
09-11-2003, 07:07 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you would want the 5 Speed anyway? Out of the 8, or so, 87-88-89 Honda accord LXI model cars I have drove, all the automatics will toast the standards hands down! After telling this to a friend, he did not believe me. He had an auto, and mine is a five speed. We switched cars and raced in each others cars. Me driving his auto and him in my 5 speed. Realize both vehicles were completely stock at the time. And both have the same motor. The Automatic car blew the doors off the 5 speed. Before owning a honda, I was a die hard manual transmission guy for racing. But once we raced these cars, he stuck to his auto, and I have constantly wanted to switch mine to an auto.

pric
09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
maybe your friend does not know how to drive a 5-speed. Stock-vs-Stock same year, make, and motor, manual will always beat auto.

BITESIZE
09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by paynt3r
I'm trying to figure out why you would want the 5 Speed anyway? All the automatics will toast the standards hands down! I was a die hard manual transmission guy for racing. But once we raced these cars, he stuck to his auto, and I have constantly wanted to switch mine to an auto.

:wtf:

Who the hell do you think you are, Dude you're full of horse poopy. An automatic will nowhere near beat a 5 speed. The gear ratio is way different.

You are full of it. :stick:

BOLINKXR-89LXI
09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
THAT is so cool I new vern could do it where did you find the tranny

BITESIZE
09-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Vern found in the classifieds, I got it for $100 and it had a brand new clutch!

paynt3r
09-19-2003, 04:41 AM
Well considering we both use to drag race, and we have both raced standards and autos, I would say he did know how to race a standard tranny. Granted our racing experience was in small block chevy and fords running in the 10-12 second range. We dragged both cars twice each. Him in my car twice and me in mine twice. The Auto beat the 5 speed hands down every time. Also remember, both cars were completely stock. Both cars had also been recently tuned. Was there possibly somehting wrong with my car? I don't thik so, considering that when these races took place both cars were in the 30,000 to 40,000 mile range. His motor finally took a puke and toasted the front of his car at 199,000 miles. Mine is still running great at over 256,000 miles. I will see about getting a picture of it added to my profile. Also, I have owned two preludes. 85 auto and a 86 standard. and guess what, the 85 auto was the faster of the two. As far as most any other make of car I would agree with you. But as far as I am conserned, Honda makes a better automatic tranny than most any other car company.

Thats just my two cents.

BITESIZE
09-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda Automatic Transmissions suck in our 3geez. Flat out suck. The automatics in no way can beat a 5 speed.

pric
09-19-2003, 02:13 PM
BITSIZE you need to get to the track so we can see the time difference and end this dispute.

BITESIZE
09-19-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm going the end of September or Mid October.

BOLINKXR-89LXI
09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
man you suck I wish I could meet you at the track let me no the differnce in your times

BITESIZE
09-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Ha Ha, I don't suck, but yeah, I can't wait to go to the track. I'm curious to what I will run with my new Cold Air Intake and new 5 speed.

factorVIII
09-27-2003, 11:51 PM
the key can come off in N too. i sometimes turn the car on in neutral.

bboipinoy112
09-28-2003, 11:50 AM
aye bitesize(OR ANY ONE).. where did u pick up all ur shiznits for the swap ? juckyard/salvage yard ? if so how much for all the stuff ? and what do i need to pick up for the swap ? ?

bboipinoy112
09-28-2003, 08:30 PM
bump?

BITESIZE
09-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Bought tranny from a guy out of the classifieds, bought other shiznits at scrap yards and salvage yards. About $200 for everything.

sporkHSP
10-06-2003, 07:26 AM
hows the cruise control coming?

What else did you need to do the swap?

BITESIZE
10-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Haven't figured out the cruise yet, too big of a pain in the ass, maybe I'll worry about it next summer.

AccordEpicenter
10-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Yea i agree with you that honda autos are excellently built, but they are VERY sensitive to lack of maintenance (read: never changed tranny oil) and serious abuse but i will tell you guys, ive dropped this tranny into gear like 4x, driven foot to the floor for 40000 miles (its got 125k on it now) power braked and raced everybody (even took it to the track) did some burnouts/donuts and even tho it blew last time i took it to the track it doesnt have burned atf... Oh yea ive accidentaly shifted into reverse going like 40+mph forwards like 3x and the tranny lived. In comparison, my friends non beat on 95 ford taurus with 120k on it needs a tranny, my friends former buick park ave he put 4 trannies (yes, 4) into it by 140k miles, and he didnt beat on it either, 2 of my aunts and uncles on my dads side of the family have a combined total of 3 transmission into late model chrysler minivans... you get the idea. I have only seen one blown auto from the 90-97 accord family

pric
10-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Way to go BITESIZE you took off a more than a second off your 1/4 mile time nice job man. Moved up from #9 to #8. You need to work on your launches you got to get that 60 foot down you start running 2.4-2.3 60 foot and your 1/4 mile time will be in the 16's did you see how close you and bobafett are? Well I guess that answers which is faster the auto or the 5-speed!!!!

BITESIZE
10-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I should have ran a 16, but I got only one run in, since it rained. My luncy can be way better, i know I can run a 16.

bboipinoy112
11-01-2003, 10:41 AM
what did you do with your P R N D 3 2 switch thing ? ? ? .. i just left mine how it is and leave it in P so it can start up .. i dont kno what else to do with it

EDIT- maybe its because its a AUTOMATIC ecu? thats why has to be in P .. if i had the 5spd ecu.. it wouldnt need to be in P ?

BITESIZE
11-03-2003, 12:34 AM
The ecu doesn't matter. You have to ground the wire that goes to the park switch.