PDA

View Full Version : timing belt life?

Mantis88LX
06-15-2002, 02:34 PM
k well i was looking thru all the papers ffrom the origanal owner and i saw were he replace the timing belt in 98, me and my dad just replaced it again like a month ago.

arent the belts soposed to last longer than that??

what cause's them to wear faster?

also i heard somewere that if you shut your car off to earlier before the idle has droped completly and it deisels then it is bad for the timing belt (carbed accords)

thanx

ACCORD EX
06-15-2002, 02:40 PM
the timing belt should be changed every 100000km , 60000miles
why did you change your timing belt ??

MIKE

Mantis88LX
06-15-2002, 02:43 PM
because it messed up, it striped or something, i was straded and had to be towed home! :mad:

just tring to find out all this info so i dont get stranded again, dman thats so imbarrassing:crying:

dosh8er
06-15-2002, 08:34 PM
i don't think that dieseling thing you're talking about has any relevance to abnormal wear on the timing belt. Your timing belt moves with your crankshaft and your camshaft.. They move when you start it up, they move all the time.

Improper tension would probably be the most likely cause for abnormal wear of the timing belt. Like Accord EX said, 60,000 is about right. 98 is not too bad, but it's good that you replaced it. IF a timing belt were to break on one of our accord engines, most likely, there would be some serious damage to the engine (bent valves, screwed up cams/pistons, and other nasty things)

ACCORD EX
06-16-2002, 12:17 AM
hey mantis may be the old one wasn't Honda genuine , that's why it didn't last long ! :D

MIKE

Lester Lugnut
06-16-2002, 07:14 AM
Bought my 3G '87 Accord Lx new in '87. Changed belt at 125,000. Honda calls for change out at 60K. I adjust valves annually. When doing that, one can see the condition of the belt cogs and determine if it's still dry(leaking cam/crank seals).

It's a judgement call. If you're right, fine. If not, you lose an engine. If you use a dealer belt and install it correctly, you're likely to be able to go way beyond 60K, but as pointed out, there are variables.

I've changed many Civic/Accord belts. None showed any wear when they were changed and all were changed well above 60K.

I just changed the belt on a '95 Rodeo. It too was supposed to be changed at 60K. It looked almost brand new.

Again, it's your choice.

Mantis88LX
06-16-2002, 08:04 AM
i didnt change mine becasue i wanted to, i HAD to! like i said i was straided and had to be towed home, the belt actually stripped on one side, what could have casue this??

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
06-16-2002, 09:28 AM
You guys are changing those things way too early. The recommended life on the timing belt for a 3G is 90,000 miles. I don't know by time though, but I would replace the belt after five or six years.

Although this is for the US models but I do know for Canadian models. If you guys are in the timing belt area, you might as well consider replacing the water pump. One item that must be replaced at every timing belt replacement is the tensioner. Don't take a chance with it freezing on you. Mine was clicking like crazy when I had my last timing belt replaced.

Claude

POS carb
06-16-2002, 01:35 PM
1 timing belt change in 220,000 mile for me, I guess it's time for a new one :rolleyes:

Honda original belts are a lot cheaper than I thought, get a Honda one!

ACCORD EX
06-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
You guys are changing those things way too early. The recommended life on the timing belt for a 3G is 90,000 miles. I don't know by time though, but I would replace the belt after five or six years.

Although this is for the US models but I do know for Canadian models. If you guys are in the timing belt area, you might as well consider replacing the water pump. One item that must be replaced at every timing belt replacement is the tensioner. Don't take a chance with it freezing on you. Mine was clicking like crazy when I had my last timing belt replaced.

Claude

in my manua l it says replaced every 100000 km ! i have an A20A2 ! :)

MIKE