PDA

View Full Version : Installing Head Unit, NEED HELP

89AcCOrDmike
08-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Okay, i'm kinda new at this, but how hard is it to install a head unit? I've heard its a breeze, and i just wanted reassurance that i could do it on my own. There are three things i'm planning on installing into my car that are electric and i am gonna list them and if you know about installing them and any tips you have PLEASE tell them to me so i have as much knowledge as possible so i don't dick anything up.

1st- I'm installing the head unit (pioneer DEH-6500) if anyone can give me a basic outline on how to do this i'd be very appreciative.

2nd- I'm puttin my subs in, they have a sony amp and i'm only confused on two things:
A. The metal ring for the amp power cable that hooks up to the battery seems to be too small to hook around the positive side, so where do i put it, also, if the amp already has a fuse in it, do i still need to use the fuse that the wiring kit comes with?
B. Where do i ground the amp to?

3rd- OK its a little ricey but i like it, i'm installing neons under my dash and under steering wheel, there going to be hidden and i want to put them onto a switch, but where do i hook the switch's power up to? can i just tap it into the cigarette lighters electric line? or do i have to wire it somewhere else

Thanks for reading it, i know it is long but any help will greatly be appreciated! thanks again!

88' Accord Ltd
08-29-2003, 07:27 PM
1. There is a screw in the back of the headunit holding it into the dash, remove it and it slides out. check this out from the how-to for the factory wiring...

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93

2a. Either get a bigger connector or like shove it through the rubber connector. It just has to touch the batterys + but I would get a bigger connector and not be ghetto. You should always use the inline fuse, its more protection. I don't know a shop that would install an amp unless you had one.

b. find a smooth surface with a bolt or screw, sand the paint down to bare metal, get a connector on the end of that bad boy and bolt it up. Make sure the ground is nice and clean though and that the ground wire isn't like 20 feet long.

3. I wired up my neon to the parking light circut, Its really easy. I took the negative wire and grounded it behind the dash (theres lots of places there), and took the positive and shoved it into the fuse for the parking lights and put the fuse back in with the wire shoved in there. Hey it works and no problems for as long as I've had the neon running. You can wire it to whatever circut you want. I just chose to have it turn on like the old lights for the gauge cluster as thats what its lighting up.

Someone can probably explain more clearly than I can lol!

sanjay
08-29-2003, 08:29 PM
I thought that was pretty good.
When I was doing my sound system i used [search] - good function that!
Are you running the right guage wire to your amp?

p.s. also with regard to the head unit, i think it's in the how-to section, there's a wire diagram to tell you what colours mean what. I think the thread is called radio codes?
I'm not sure, but if I have a look around, you should be sweet.

Scarface
09-01-2003, 10:14 PM
For the deck you can buy a wiring harness for your honda. This makes things super easy. You just plug in your existing harness into the new one and all of the wires are going to be color matched to those of your deck. Then all you have to do is buy some red butt connectors and put them together.

Another reason to get the wiring harness is so that if you ever planned to go back to your normal deck to sell the car or somthing the stock harness isnt messd up.

Once the OEM deck is removed its only a matter of securing the sleave and sliding in the new deck. There are also some cool tricks you can do to make the deck harder to get stolen, which can be a bad thing at times because the theives will bust out a crowbar. :lol

These harnesses cost 15 bucks you can get them at most install shop or clifford if you wanted to.

Vinny
09-02-2003, 06:14 AM
heres another helpful link if you aren't done already
http://installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466033.pdf
and definitely get the harness adapter walmart has the ones made by metra I think for like 8 bucks and if not the local shops sell them for like 12 bucks

89AcCOrDmike
09-02-2003, 07:14 AM
i got all the pieces for the install, wire harness( $8 at autozone) and the mounting brackets for aftermarket decks...the deck comes sometime this week, so once i get the car back i'll do the deck and then installing the amps and subs, thats the part i'm worried about, but i've been reading a lot and i think i got it all figured out........thanks for the helpful info!