PDA

View Full Version : ground strap

catalin
08-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Whose removed their valve cover ground strap and had problems starting their car???

A20A1
08-29-2003, 09:02 PM
You're not supposed to remove it.

2old_honda
08-29-2003, 09:08 PM
leave it there, you need it

catalin
08-29-2003, 09:20 PM
I know I need it, I just want to know if someone other than myself removed it and their car didn't start. That's all.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-30-2003, 05:59 AM
When I got my car, the strap was disconnected, idle was slightly rougher without it but the car started fine. Once I put the strap back on, the idle improved slightly.

I hope you find this helpful.

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 03:10 PM
You could upgrade the grounding strap with a thicker guage wire. They sell those kits on e-bay and other sites.

Doing so imporves idle as stated before and ensure a good solid ground. Especially good for High-Powered Engines.

RustyHo88
08-30-2003, 04:22 PM
yea, you definetly need that wire / strap there. i have heard horror stories about weird things that happen to peoples cars when that isnt connected. is yours there and you just dont want to put it back on the valve cover... or did you remove it completely?

jlaccord89lxi
08-30-2003, 05:55 PM
thats definitely not something you can remove and have your car continue to work properly. I put a thicker ground wire there when mine fraid off. Weird things happen without that wire there.

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:01 PM
:wtf:
what weird things happen, i had mine off for over a month already and I haven't had any probs. (forgot to put it back on after painting my VC to a anodized blue, makes my engine bay look cleaner lol.)

BTW I can tell ya that my VC looks alot better than that person who did his yellow, looks like he brushed his on or something. Mine came out clean with the Duplicolor spray. wish my cam was workin so I can post it. ANYONE IN THE CALI BAY AREA WITH A CAM??? Hella need to post major pics.:crying: :lol

catalin
08-31-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
yea, you definetly need that wire / strap there. i have heard horror stories about weird things that happen to peoples cars when that isnt connected. is yours there and you just dont want to put it back on the valve cover... or did you remove it completely?

Well I'm going to put it back on... I'm in the process of rebuilding by car and I had some troubles starting the engine last week. Part of it was fuel leaking from a newly installed fuel feed line and the other was no spark.
I grounded at the transmission housing but the distributor might not be seeing a good enough connection through the head down to the tranny. I'm going to reground the valve cover again and see what happens.

Magny
08-31-2003, 11:20 PM
Hmm now I am thinkin I should put it back on so I wont get screwed hehe :D