PDA

View Full Version : Question: JL Audio Speakers

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
08-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi Guys:

I recently put a set of Ample Audio speakers in my car, but I'm not happy with them. Funny how everything sounds good in the store but way different in your car. Was thinking of putting some JL Audio VR650-CXI speakers.

Any of you have any feedback on these speakers? Would you guys recommend these over Infinity Kappa speakers?

Thanks,
Claude

A Dawg Jr
08-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Hell no. Infinity Kappa's will sound good in any car. Espescailly if you can push them with a smaller amp. THat's what I would recomend above almost anything. Get set up with Kappa's, then find a small four channel amp, maybe 50x4 or 80x4 and run that... it'll be loud as hell.

JL makes good stuff, and you won't lose with their speakers. Once again, get an amp behind them. It's really up to you, but I really love my infinitys. So I recommend those over almost anything, but there are a lot of good speakers out there, including the VR650-CXI. Those will sound great as well!

87DXHatch
08-31-2003, 04:40 PM
JL makes outstanding speakers... IMO, the JL XR's are better than any speakers infinity has, but I don't know about those you listed. You should be able to buy them, install them, and if they don't meet your expectations, return them :)

Stanger
09-01-2003, 08:05 PM
IMHO, you can't beat a top-o-the-line JL. Just put quality stuff beind them, and get ready to be mesmerized.

markmdz89hatch
09-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Stanger
IMHO, you can't beat a top-o-the-line JL. Just put quality stuff beind them, and get ready to be mesmerized.

Boston Acoustics "Z" series, or Pro Series.

But you're completely right, regardless of the speaker, if there's not clean, consistent power feeding them, they'll all sound like crap.

87DXHatch
09-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Boston Acoustics "Z" series, or Pro Series.

But you're completely right, regardless of the speaker, if there's not clean, consistent power feeding them, they'll all sound like crap.

Heh, Boston Pros are up there with the XR's, with the top pros nudging them out, but the Boston Z's blow the XR's away.

But you're also forgetting...

Adire Kodas
Focal Utopias
CDT Euros
Dynaudio
Rainbow Reference
Crystal

And a few other brands... but it really comes down to preference when you get high up into the expensive stuff.

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 05:01 AM
true, I was just being a little partial to Boston b/c that's the setup I ran. I had Boston 6.5 Pro's in the front and the back, and man did they screem, and screem crisp and clear. I like those especially b/c they were not super bright as I found the Infiniti and Focal's to be, and the JL's seemed to be not bright enough. I loved my Pro's. Overkill (by having two pair of them), yeah, but I'd do it again if I had 9 bills to blow on them again.

I just recently heard the Z's and HOLY SHIT, those things are way out in the lead with nothing even in the same league. (But the price of a G per pair of 6.5's keeps them out of many people's cars.

87DXHatch
09-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Nothing in the same league, hmm? :D Rainbow Reference series... $10k ;)

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Nothing in the same league, hmm? :D Rainbow Reference series... $10k ;)

Ok, I stand corrected, but seriously a G is absurd, let alone 10G's. I'm sorry, but at a point, it becomes not worth it.

Actually, in speaking of components, have you heard the Daimond Audio 6.5" component set? Those suprised the hell out of me, VERY clear, and damn near the quality sound of my Bostons. (then again, I did listen to them in the "Diamond Audio Sound Room".)

87DXHatch
09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
No, I haven't personally heard them... but as you probably know, the way a speaker sounds in a room, and the way it will sound in a car are wayyyy different.

Cars are pretty horrendous environments for audio, so it really depends on how stuff's installed.

And I don't think a G is absurd at all. People spend $100k+ on home audio systems for close-to perfection, a G is a drop in the bucket compared to that. I think it's expensive, but it's still attainable.

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 11:54 AM
no-no, I was talking about dropping a G for separates in a car. Home audio is a whole different ball game. My words of advice on that subject (now that I've had my entire car stolen with over 4K invested in just audio setup) is someone can't steel an entire house. It's also a bit more obvious when you see someone running up the street, after climbing through a window with a 4ft. SonusFaber front fill as opposed to a small pair of separates they just ripped off a car. 100K in a home audio = I wanna hear it, and I'm jealous. 100k in a car audio = a VERY hard kick in the nuts for wasting all that money.

As you pointed out, a car makes for a bad acoustical environment as opposed to a house. To dump a ton of money into an acoustically near-perfect room in a house is much more justified then dumping a ton of money in an acoustically shot automobile.

Bloodlust
09-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Damn 10k for a pair of speakers !!! The most i ever spent on speakers were my MB Quart Reference Series 6x9's (very nice) and I spent 650 bucks on them

AccordEpicenter
09-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I love Bostons and Polk Audios, and havent heard Jls new speakers but if theyre anything like what i hear about them then they should be up there with the bostons and polks. I like infinities but i think that their ceramic tweets sound a little harsh and that they are overrated but nonetheless very good speakers. Polks silk dome tweets are sooooo smooth

Whitehonda
09-06-2003, 08:35 AM
I have the JL VR series 6.5 in front and 6x9s in back, all four powered by a 200 watt Eclipse amp and they rock like hell, very very crystal clear and make a world of a difference with the amp hooked up to them.

Cameron

kandyflip445
09-06-2003, 07:45 PM
I had some of the lowest line JL 6x9's(CR??) They were pretty good. I had about 75w rms to them and they sounded great. Not too good on bass though....but what do you have subs for right?:)