PDA

View Full Version : Lights fading...

fuzzy audio
08-30-2003, 11:42 AM
So I was getting in my car last night to go down to the store to get some beer. I fired it up and I let it idle at about 2k rpm's for a few seconds while I turned on my lights and got tunes going. then I tapped the gas to bring the engine back down to normal idle speed. And as it fell just past 1k rpms the lights dimmed. I drove it down to the store and as soon as I pulled in the parking lot I brought the RPM's back up above 2k for a second and then took m foot off and the lights didn't dim. Anyway, It's just a VERY slight change in intensity. It's not a huge change. So my question is, is it time to take the alt down to Schucks or auto zone to have it tested?

Mac
08-30-2003, 01:26 PM
It wouldn't hurt. Sounds like the alt might be weakening. If you have a volt meter you can run the engine, put meter on battery and check voltage. Then start turning stuff on and see if the voltage drops.

88fasthatch
08-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Well you said you had your tunes on so were the lights dimming with the music(assuming you have subwoofers and amps) or was it constant? my light are more dim with all my shit on, like lights heater, defroster and what not and my alternator is only six months old. and by the way most auto stores can test the alternator while it is still in the car, cause most of us know they are not easy to take out.

fuzzy audio
08-30-2003, 05:57 PM
No, I don't have an amp and sub. Just my Pionner deck and Polk 6.5's. It only fadded at idle speeds.

Magny
08-30-2003, 06:11 PM
My car does the same thing, don't bother with the new alternator thing until your battery stops charging. I have changed my alt. recently when I had charging probs., and found out that it didn't fix the diming prob.. The reason why it does that, and I found this out. It's because at the low RPMs the alt. spins slowly, so kinda like a slow charge(which is normal). When you step on the gas to bring the RPMs up it gives it a stronger charge up, thus increasing the power input. Following me on this so far??? So basically replacing the alt. is a waste of time, until it stops charging your batt. then you will need to. So all in all everything is perfectly normal with that so called "dimming" prob..

Mac
08-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Might not hurt to check the condition and the tension of the belt .

Magny
08-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mac
Might not hurt to check the condition and the tension of the belt .

:werd:

True True

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Good call Magny.

It's funny you said that, because I came to that conclusion a while back.

My system started having probs with the dimming, so I installed a smaller flex-lite fan (saved space), installed an engine ground kit (22.95 shipped), Lightning Audio Cap 1-farad (free), Optima Red-Top ($126=ouch), and it stabilized. After that, I replaced with an Accel-Ignition coil (free), Bosch Platinum Plugs ($8), Bosch premium wires (after warranty on another set, I paid the difference which was $6.47. Sometimes I really love autozone), distributor and rotor, and the starter ($87 at O'Reilly) (other problem). Everything has surely stabilized now.

That was of course after I had already ruled out mechanical issues like carb adjustments and dirty fuel filters.

Magny
08-31-2003, 02:00 PM
:D Thx :D

Swan
09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
yeah, mine's dimming too... it kinda scared me at first, because I thought my battery was gonna die on me, but after a while I figured that there's no problem... but still... I wanna get rid of the dimming... so if I do the regular ignition tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.) it will make it stop? as for the capacitor, I'm not really using a heavy system, yet... just a cheap jensen and 2 prs of speakers... but the rear speakers are planet audio's... the yellow 2-ways.. .6.5.... would this make any difference?
oh, by the way, axis mag-lite wheels suck! I can't stand the 4-spoke....actually, I might like them on our cars, but the only set that I've seen on a vehicle is an MR2 spider... and I thought it sucked on that.. and I think just about all wheels look like crap off the car... I'm weird like that I guess....

Magny
09-05-2003, 10:31 PM
LOL :werd: it just all depends on the car for the axis 4 spoke. I played with a photo of my car with those rims and it does actually look pretty tight with the gunmetal one not the silver. did you see it on a teg yet???

http://www.axiswheels.com/integra.maglite2.gif

As for the ignition tune-up, I don't think it will really help, but if your car has a power distribution box, ya might wanna get that checked. mine has one and i don't see it in any maitenance book, wierd. anyways check in your engine bay next to the fuse box, there should be a box there with wires comin out of it, or it may be behind the dash. it depends on the car tho. some may have it, others may not.