PDA

View Full Version : fans not coming on

3rd gen 89 se-i
08-30-2003, 07:19 PM
well my fans are not coming on when the car starts to get hot.i know thwy work because when i turn on my A/C they both then turn on.what should i try to do to get them to turn on?

Magny
08-30-2003, 07:21 PM
have you checked your water level in your coolant resivoir??? I had this happened to me too until i discovered that there was no water in the resivoir.

zero.counter
08-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Check the tempertature switch near the bottom of the radiator, then jump the fans to see if they are just not working.

We discussed this not too long ago, so if you search you should find something.

adams86lxi
08-30-2003, 07:32 PM
this tells you how to check it and fix it! http://quadmobile.virtualave.net/fanswitch.htm:)

Mac
08-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Yep, there is a switch on the bottom of the radiator that turns on the fan when it gets hot. There is an A/C fan relay that turns on the fans with the A/C on. So just because they come on with the A/C your switch in the radiator could be bad. If you disconnect the switch jumper out the two contacts and turn key on. If fan comes on the switch is bad.

A20A1
08-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Your resivoir has no sensor for the fans, and simply should not affect the fans operation... but Low coolant or no coolant in the resivoir may be a sign that coolant in the radiator is low.

I've been running with no resivoir for a long time and the main fan operates as it should. I also do not overfill my radiator... I usually keep the fluid level inbetween the last row of fins and the base of the radiator filler neck.

89cordlx
08-30-2003, 08:09 PM
I have one radiator fan that is always on, and one that I think is near death (spins very little) and I think that because one is near dead the other is always on to compinsate. does that make sense?

deadlight
08-31-2003, 01:45 AM
I think you have a primary that's always on, and then a secondary that will kick on if it starts heating up, like if you're at a stop, if that's what you're trying to say.

2ndgenludedude
09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
i had the same problem and it was the sensor on the bottom of hte radiater. i jsut wired the fans so there always on till i get a new one

3rd gen 89 se-i
09-02-2003, 04:00 PM
i ened up fixing it already where the fans connect it was off. so all i did was simply reconnect them.some times its the most simplest things thst get us.
thanks a lot everybody for your comments and ideas.

Magny
09-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
Your resivoir has no sensor for the fans, and simply should not affect the fans operation....

If this part is true how come it didn't turn on until I filled it with water???

I checked all plugs, switches, and wires, no prob there. so i filled it up and voila it turned right on.