PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tranny conversion + Mods

Scarface
08-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,

To start off I would like to give you some information on my car. I have a 87 LX-i. I got it back in 97 after saving up and selling the peice of junk datsun my dad got me. I always wanted a 5 speed but just lived with it. Ive always wanted to do stuff to it for the longest time and never could find info on the net. PLus there arent many manufatures that makes stuff for it. So the only mods done to it is a weapon R short ram intake and a Dual tip muffler made by someone , dont remember who. So in 2000 I bought a 97 prelude and put in a good $15,000 into it. So my accord became my commuter. So about 6 months ago my company trucks tranny went out so I use the accord to lug all my installation equpment for amout a month and my tranny started messing up and got progressivly worse.
SO I put it in the garage where it had been sitting until I could get some money together to fix it.

Anyhow Im finally due back my fat tax return which I filed late and was going to probably just get my tranny fixed but after just recently discovering this site 2 days ago. I caught the "lets fix her up" bug, after seeing all the great things members have done to there cars. Ive been on the forums now for probably 6 hours for the past 2 days reading all of the great information.

So heres where I need your help. I am seriuosly thinking about doing a tranny conversion and above that want to get recomendations on mods that can be done since the engine and tranny are going to be out. My plans are to stick with the motor until it craps out but I would like to to an engine swap eventually. SO Im basically looking at mods that I can do so that when the time comes that I need a new engine and want to swap it out I wont be stuck with expensive mods that are no longer compatable.

Also depending on what you guys all think I can catalogue the whole process with photos while the work is being done.

Please help me out with any suggestions as well as those who have gone through the process of the tranny conversion if you have any suggestions before I do it.

Thanks a lot

-Donni

1988starter
08-31-2003, 04:25 PM
look here
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102

Scarface
08-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I actually already saw the post I was meaning to get any suggestions as far as other mods I should do on top of the coversion since I would have to take out the tranny and have access to things that i would have if I wasnt doing such a big job.

I am also looking for any recomendations on where I can get a good deal in getting parts.

guaynabo89
08-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Good clutch, alum flywheel, shorter gearing and an lsd.

grand total= $1,000 to 1,400

Is that what your looking for?

1988starter
09-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Look in the faq or how to section and you will find info on how to swapfirst gen teg gearing in it is much shorter

shepherd79
09-01-2003, 08:08 AM
if you gonna stay with this engine than you should consider changing timing belt. very easy to do and it will save you more money in the future.
as for aluminum flywheel, don't bother if you are going to swap the engine in the future.