PDA

View Full Version : B16A Question

RobbyKlotz
08-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Has anyone put a B16A into a 89 LX? I need a little info... I am wondering which is basically easier and cheaper with more aftermarket support.. the B16A or the B20

zero.counter
08-31-2003, 03:24 PM
There have been a couple of people performing the swap. Oldschoolswap did, but I don't recall what trim he had. He also sells the parts necessary and there is a F.A.Q. under the swaps forum.

B16A would have a little more aftermarket support I would say. I have seen part available on the net like crazy because of the swap popularity.

Also be forewarned, it is recommended that you swap your CARB to PGM-FI for a little more HP and to take full advantage of the B16A's power. It has been discussed as being possible with the crab, but only in theory. Carotman has a page on performing the PGM-FI swap.

ghost_ny
09-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Im doing a b16a into an 88 lx. Yes it is better to also do a efi conversion aslo will your at it. Its really not that hard if you put your mind to it and do one thing at a time. Cuz it gets overwelming if you look at it as one huge projects. Instead look at it like a couple of small projects. Thats what i do.

RobT5580
09-01-2003, 11:47 AM
As far as easier and cheaper the B20A is both cheaper and easier than a newer B-series swap. I have done a B-series swap with the PRI stuff and it was not so bad but someone without the experience will definatly have some big trouble doing it. Its not to bad but you will need to be able to re-wire the harness even with the nice Place racing harness you still have to re-pin the stock harness and move old pins.

I am doing a B20A because i was for sure on a turbo and it was a better platform IMO than a B16A. But i will say you can buy a lot more for a newer b-series as far as bolt ons so if your gonna stay N/A that is one thing to keep in mind. I tossed back and forth on swaps but ended up getting my B20A because of cost and expected performance over the B16A i was gonna do. Plus i used the left over money to buy my turbo, intercooler and misc things.

bobafett
09-01-2003, 07:08 PM
b18 could run carbed! :) just something to keep in mind for you carbed people who want good power. :D

toastyghost
09-01-2003, 09:40 PM
I've known about that possibility for a while but what kind of power can you expect from such a setup?! I'd really like to see some carbed VTEC hp/tq #'s.

bobafett
09-01-2003, 11:36 PM
theres that guy in the carribean with a carbed b20 setup who is making so much power he shredded his motor mounts.. he also has a slightly built engine with higher CR forged pistons... nevertheless, its a badass setup. :)

A20A1
09-02-2003, 01:19 AM
http://www.piercemanifolds.com/yourwebers2.htm

There is a guy running dual carbs... not sure of the power though
Click on the link above and scoll down to the civic with the GSR motor.

Coroncho80
09-03-2003, 02:20 PM
http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/carpix/hondaciv1a.jpg

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/carpix/hondaciv1b.jpg

It would be nice if we can get more info about it.

carotman
09-03-2003, 04:40 PM
That Vtec/carb thing is HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD to tune... you either run too rich at lower RPM or lean ar high rpm (VTEC). There are ways to make it run well anyway...... but that thing isn't really streetable nor will pass emission tests... The guy will just open the hood and close it. :(

Nice carb setup altough... I would like one like this but I prefered to install an EFI setup on my car....

be advised that ANY engine swap in the 3g Accord will be a nice adventure. Don't let any half ass shop do it. Some of them do bad jobs on Civics, a platform that has the most support on the import scene in North America.... imagine what they would do with your oldschool Accord....

Did the info, ask questions... some people will be harsh with you (even on the 3geez board) but you'll learn something... There is a french proverb that says: Rome wasn't build in 1 day...

Peace