PDA

View Full Version : Story behind the Accord Aerodeck...

Oz87Si
09-01-2003, 04:33 AM
I'm just wondering what the history of the Aerodeck is. It's quite a peculiar looking car...very funny alternative model of the original Accord Sedan. It could be made into a very "hot hatch" though, especially with the 12V 2.0L engine.

Does it have anything in it that the sedan doesnt have? I'm just interested and curious. If anyone could help me out with some historical stuff on the Aerodeck, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers Lads

shepherd79
09-01-2003, 04:45 AM
i don't know the story behind aerodeck design, but i know they are lighter than US hatchbacks.
So if you stick JDM B20a in it, it will fly.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-01-2003, 07:09 AM
Paul's site has an "About" section where there are some original sketches of the Aerodeck made by the designers, plus some info.

Aerodecks came in several versions similar to the USDM models. In Europe you could get the base versions with carb, front-only disk brakes, and no frills. Other models added power equipped interior, ALB, all disk brakes (I think), and PGMFI(A20 and B20 powerplants). The top of the line if I am not mistaken was the EXi model that packed just about everything. In Japan the top model came with all the goodies you could possibly imagine including the JDM B20A.

Physically Aerodecks were 2-door only, shorter than the USDM hatch backs, and had a peculiar rear hatch design. Part of the back roof was actually glass. The center consoles in Aerodecks were also different incorporating a small storage compartment. Other small features may have been different. Paul will probably be able to explain this better than me.

Correct me if I am wrong. :D