PDA

View Full Version : Custom door handles & locks.....

Morbid Intentionz
09-01-2003, 02:03 PM
For security reasons and show reasons I came up with a cool idea. What do you think bout gettin like the brake lines from bikes and shavin off the locks and movin the door handles somewhere else.....i dont know yet got the idea look in my head. So like if someone brakes your window......lookin for a door handle or the lock to open your door and cant find them they will get shitty and run off and possibly never do it again............good idea or not.

88fasthatch
09-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Way too much work!!!

Luis 89LXi
09-01-2003, 05:54 PM
if your car has an alarm whit a channel available, you could use a solenoid attached to the line in the latch, inside the door to unlock it, i talking on the aftermarket solenids that use in the trunk. Well thats the idea. Then you could shave/hide the door handle. open by press the aux button on the remote.

let get you a fast diagram of it . . . . .

Luis 89LXi
09-01-2003, 07:12 PM
OK this is my idea on shaved handles:

you will use a solenoid like the ones in aftermarket trunk release, wired a relay from an available wire channel in your alarm. if you attach the wire from the solenoid in the line that moves when you push the door handle you could open the door (first you have to unlock it) the solenoid will act as your hand pushing the door handle and the spring on the chassis will push the door outside a bit but will not close again. you got it ???.

this is my draw:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/372000-372999/372233_14_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/372000-372999/372233_15_full.jpg

you could use the line thats attached to the external door handle or internal whichever has room for the solenoid, since the door are unlocked the solenoid will pull the line to open the latch.

hope i was clear a bit. i never does but i think it could work, just work on the idea and keep us updated.

Luis Z

toastyghost
09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm with 88fasthatch on this one, too much effort for not enough gain. That's just a personal thing though... don't let me discourage you.

mykwikcoupe
09-01-2003, 10:31 PM
a friend added a proximity motion sensor to his car and added a solenoid like the other guy was saying. The cool thing is the way he designed it is you walk up to the fender tap 3 times in a spot and the alarm turns off and the door opens.

You can imagine relm of possibilities this makes for theves. If someone watches him more than once they have the master key. If the kids bump it the door opens. Cool but needs more security. And for those of you that overthink things. His alarm was a starter kill, glass break sensor and door, trunk, hood pins. No motion or other proximity sensors. Basic but cool.

Another thought I was going to try this winter. He said the rear handles froma 4 door fit the front doors so if you have automatic locks on your alarm you dont have to look at the key hole anymore that your not going to use anyway. Mike

Morbid Intentionz
09-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Im gonna try that...i like hands on projects and even if it dont go right ill have some insight for people who want to try.

Vinny
09-02-2003, 07:05 AM
best of luck but I agree its wayyyy to much work

Morbid Intentionz
09-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Ok...so what makes the power doo locks unlock? Is there like a solenoid to pop it up and if there is is it mounted in the door?

Morbid Intentionz
09-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Ok i found out in my Haynes Manual that they are controled by actuators. SO why couldnt you get another actuator And set it up Like you were sayin in your drawing?

Sabz5150
09-14-2003, 06:37 PM
I shaved my locks by getting a pair of rear door handles off a junkyard 3g of the same color as mine. They're a direct fit and I use a keyless entry unit to lock and unlock the doors.

Cool, yet cheap (10 for handles, 30 for keyless system) mod that looks good.

Morbid Intentionz
09-14-2003, 07:50 PM
I got a viper with keyless entry . I might just get another set of handles if this fails. i found out the hard way why you cant use actuators cause go up and stay up until they switch back down .. unlike the solenoids where they pop

Morbid Intentionz
09-14-2003, 07:54 PM
Now my question is that to use the aux button(channel 2 (-)) is says that i have to hook up a relay to it. So should i hook up a constant power(+) to it and run all my wires then hook up the channel 2 to the negative side?

Sabz5150
09-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Morbid Intentionz
Now my question is that to use the aux button(channel 2 (-)) is says that i have to hook up a relay to it. So should i hook up a constant power(+) to it and run all my wires then hook up the channel 2 to the negative side?

Positive pulse or negative pulse system? If it's negative pulse (which it most likely is) then yes, that is the correct way to set it up.

Luis 89LXi
09-17-2003, 02:15 PM
You need to use a Relay if is negative pulse. I don't see any + pulse for Aux Channels. As you says in actuators ther have a kind of motors that pull outward in a button push and inward in another botton push and they dont have enough power to move the door handle i guess.

I like that idea on rear door handles, but i guess your point is shaved door h. try the solenoids, here in mexico thery're almost $13 dls each whit all wiring and the realys are less than a dollar. They're so cheap just to try.

Luis

Luis 89LXi
09-17-2003, 02:32 PM
you can't use the solenoid without a relay, you can damage your Alarm system, the relay acts as a bridge to leave the power runs tru the solenoid whitout the ( - ) in aux gets in contact whit the solenoid, is hard to explain, the aux channel is 3 amp i guess as i told you just to make a bridge in the relay, the solenoid can blow a 10 amp fuse (it happens to me) imagine that can do by the aux wire to the system if you plug it alone, even fused.