PDA

View Full Version : lower control arm problems...STILL

89accordlxi
06-15-2002, 07:59 PM
This is a continuation to my "Springs to Short for strut" thread. So go there for background info if interested.

:mad: UUHHHGGG!!!! I finally got the freak'n fork bolt out of the lower control arm today. I had to cut it off. Then I pressed out the torn up bushing. However; I only pressed out the rubber part. the metal housing is still stuck in the hole. So I decided to go ahead and just remove the whole lower control arm. Easy right?????WRONG!!!!!. The freak'n pivot bolt was siezed to the bushing as well. So now the pivot bolt will have to be cut off also.
So here is the scenerio. I have a lower control arm with no outer bushing and a torn up inner bushing that has a seized bolt that cannot be removed. On top of that, I some how need to get the car back together so I can still drive it.:confused: Hmmm, how do I do this with no outer bushing you say... Well, I just took one of my old bumpstops and shoved it in the bushing hole. Amazingly, it fit just right. Nice and snug with a whole for the bolt to fit in. So that is what I am using for a bushing right now until I can drive it to a shop and let them remove the control arm and replace both bushings. I have spent to much time on this project and have gotten no where. I hate to say it, but it is time to get professional help.

Sorry this became such a long thread but I needed to get this off my chest and share my frustrations with you guys. SORRy..:(

Does anybody have any suggestions or comments.

Later y'all, Thanks for listening to my problems.

YK86
06-17-2002, 09:01 PM
I had a simular problem with the rear AND front lower bushings. What I did was, leave the outer ring inside the arm (it was completely seized, no chance to get it out myself) so I got new bushings, made about 5 cuts (front to back) to the outer ring with a grinder (just enough to crack the ring so you don't grind the rubber bushing) and do this every 1/5 . The outer ring pieces just fell off after the 6th cut. Then press/tap this into the old ring. It takes a bit of work but it will fit just like new. I check up on all of then every once in a while but it has not moved at all. This will save you tons of $$.

89accordlxi
06-18-2002, 07:21 PM
DAMN:mad: I wish I would have read your reply before I took it to the dealer. I got completely raped...They charged me over 200 dollars in labor alone to replace both the inner and outer bushing.
I was just so frustrated with working on it for two whole weekends and getting no where that I just didn't want to mess with it any more. But after I saw the bill, I could have kicked myself. Oh well, it is over and done with now.
Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Peace out..