PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my sub ..

Hash_man_Se_i
09-01-2003, 07:58 PM
I just went 2 days ago, and picked up my MTX 8000 series 10" sub. Along with a Moster 4gage amp wiring kit, and Monster RCA.
The sub is last years model, but was never even taken out of the box. The only difference, is that the cone is a dull grey instead of shinny silver... But for $200CDN, I won't complain at all... especially cuz I am almost 100% sure that there is no difference at all except the appearance.

Now, I just have to wait for my paycheck to get my Audison amp, and Alpine deck. :super: ... I can't wait.

Useless post, but I figured I would share. Here's a pic of it.

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/images/sub8000.jpg

AccordEpicenter
09-02-2003, 09:06 PM
good choices. I like mtx but many people dont. I think their amps are better than their subs

3G Jester
09-02-2003, 09:22 PM
ooooo my friend has one of those mtx's.....soooooo sexual sooo sexual. good choice man.

accordepicenter? what the hell are you talking about? most everyone lke mtx. great shit. show quality. expensive but you get what you pay for.

wallyyfm
09-03-2003, 10:07 AM
did someone say mtx? :barf:

shepherd79
09-03-2003, 01:10 PM
i don't like their subs, but i like their amps.

87DXHatch
09-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah, MTX is not:

great shit. show quality. expensive but you get what you pay for.

I would rank them at mediocre shit, as far as subs go. Has anyone seen the new series they released? The 9500 series? (Which, BTW, STOLE it's name from the Digital Designs subs with the same series name, which came LONG before the MTX subs) They are marketted to be good, but they need obscenely big boxes to be able to get anywhere near low. To acheive a QTC. of .707 you have to have a 13 CUBIC FOOT SEALED BOX for the 15" version. In contrast, the average 12" sub reaches a QTC. of .707 in over a cube. My 15" sub reaches a QTC of .707 in .9 cubic feet.

But anyway... their amps are pretty damn nice. The 81000D is a kick-ass amp that can be modded to be stable at 1 ohm and put out ~1500 watts... it's great quality.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Well, this is my first system in my first car.. and for the amount I paid... the MTX is definately the best choice.

My next sub will definatly be either a Focal or an Eclipse.

87DXHatch
09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Well I've seen you rave about Audison amps... amps play a very small role in how a system sounds. The speakers/subs play a MUCH MUCH greater role in how a system sounds, though the amps do play a part. You can't get an MTX sub and hook it up to an Audison amp and expect it to blow you away just because the amp is high quality.

Excellent quality speakers make up for poor quality amps 100X more than excellent quality amps make up for poor quality speakers.

And I'm not calling MTX poor quality, because it isn't poor quality, they just aren't that good.

As for Focal and Eclipse subs, I would suggest against it for a second system. Focal's subs are 100% Sound Quality and not very much SPL, but they are extremely expensive. You can do much better for the money, unless you're after 100000% SQ. Eclipse subs sound amazing and pound like hell, but again, they are very expensive. If you just want to look at some cool subs to think about, check out:

www.edesignaudio.com
www.respl.com
www.adireaudio.com

Hash_man_Se_i
09-03-2003, 07:59 PM
^ Yes, I know... you all keep saying it. MTX are nothing amazing, but they aren't shit either. I am also more after good sound quality, and subs that can also pound.

And yes, I know that an amp can not make a mediocor sub sound amazing, and that for everything to sound good, I will have to have speakers too.

I know this, and that's why I am going to be getting speakers soon after my sub, amp, and HU. But I am only 16, and can only afford so much with my now part time job.

wallyyfm
09-04-2003, 09:36 AM
if you want real subs, buy some MMATS

Vinny
09-04-2003, 09:41 AM
As long as your happy with what you have thats what's important, congrats on the system

Elijah
09-04-2003, 09:51 AM
I would say eclipes has the nicest sound I have ever heard.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-04-2003, 02:15 PM
I would say eclipes has the nicest sound I have ever heard.

Ya, they sound wicked, but I can't afford that right now.

AccordEpicenter
09-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Ive blown mtx subs before, but for the money they werent bad. Ive never heard eclipses amps but their subs are badass.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Ive blown mtx subs before, but for the money they werent bad. Ive never heard eclipses amps but their subs are badass.

Ya, there are some really shitty MTX's like the road thunders.. but other than the RFL, which is just nuts, and the new 9500 subs, the 8000 is the best.. and I like how they sound for the money.

87DXHatch
09-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Just FYI, the RFL can't play music with even a hint of any accuracy... it is made purely for SPL.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Oh I know... that thing is mental though. I mean it really takes 2000W to even get it moving.

AccordEpicenter
09-07-2003, 08:08 PM
it sounds like ass (the RFL) and it blows up wayyyy to often. SPL competitors hate them cuz they always burn up.

AccordEpicenter
09-07-2003, 08:09 PM
oh yea and that MTX 8100D is the shit