PDA

View Full Version : Question: Worth it or not?

Slanter
09-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Ok, i'm looking to buy (and probably will have baught) a '87 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback from a guy who's selling it locally for about $1700. Now, this car is in PERFECT condition. have yet to see any rust or chips in the paint, the engine sounds good, the interior is great, and it has a $300 stereo system in it. the only downside is that it has about 185,000 miles on it. Now... i'm looking for something that will last me a couple months without being a real pain in the ass, so my question is: Is it worth buying this car even though it has high miles on it? (Oh by the way, the transmission is automatic :( yea I know, but the transmission shifts well)

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Hell yea it's worth it! 185,000 is nothing for a 3g Accord, these things last FOREVER! Seriously, these Accords, and the beastly A20 motors are some of the most durable, dependable machines Honda has built yet. My LX-i currently has 323,400 miles, runs like absolutely brand new (200 psi compression across all 4), a/c blows 37 degrees F, original factory clutch lasted 321k miles, original starter and master cylinder lasted 298k miles, and only a few other little things that have needed replacing. I still trust it to take me anywhere in the country, at any time. Oh yea, still get 33-34 mpg on the highway, and that's with the a/c on! :D My dad just bought an '89 Accord SE-i with auto tranny and 150,000 miles. Runs and drives like new, tranny shifts beautifully, a/c blows ICE cold, etc. Rooz (SiR) has 284k miles on his '87 LX, and it's still all original including the auto tranny, never had a thing done to it.

Unless it's been abused or not taken care of, you really can't go wrong with any 3g Accord, regardless of miles. Of course stuff does wear out, like CV joints and fuel injectors on the LX-i, but that's just simple stuff replace it and your set for another 200k miles. As far as reliability, it can't be beat! There's quite a few mileage threads floating around here if you search, you'll see just how many peeps have have well over 200k miles on their 3g and it's still kickin' strong.... they just keep going and going and going and going, LOL

So I'd say if it's in real good shape, go for it! You won't be dissappointed! :)

Slanter
09-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Woo! Alright.. coolness. I think I will get it. I'm in the market for a temporary car cause I just trashed my '95 Nissan 200sx (Goddamn Deer!!!!) the guy said that he just replaced the timing belt, the fuel pump, cv joints, brakes, and recharged the air conditioner... so sounds like a decent deal.

Blue Impact
09-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks for telling. Now I'm gonna get it. :D With the description you've given. It is worth it for that price. I'd hate to scare you though, but sometimes when you and the car are not meant to be, and you get the car...oh what the hell, just get it. :D

cubert
09-02-2003, 02:41 AM
drive it. if it drives good at the cv joints dont need to be replaced..if they do...still get it...but if you do them yourself they can be a pain in the ass unless you have access to a lift...but for mint condition 1700 bucks...go for it.

danronian
09-02-2003, 03:38 AM
I actually thought the cv joints were very easy to install with jack stands and a jack under the lower control arm...but then again I restored a entire car in my driveway... but anyway, sounds like a great deal to me, I bought mine for $1,900 with 140K but it needed a bunch of fronts end parts and new tires, and has beat paint. But before jumping to the conclusion the engine is in great shape and a problem isn't being hidden by thick oil, first get someone to rev it up a bit and someone should stand in the back and see if it puffs out alot of blue smoke. For a few months it would be fine with a little smoke, but alot of blue could mean nothing good. Also check the radiator fluid to see if there is any oil in it, if there is there is probably a problem with the head gasket. Just my $.02, good luck!

Vinny
09-02-2003, 05:32 AM
well worth it as a daily driver much less a keeper just foir a few mths. Mine has 178k on it and I only paid 300 bucks for it but it needed lots of TLC. I say go for it

PogiLXI
09-02-2003, 01:11 PM
I paid a 1k for my 87 LXi Accord With 130K, AC Was Retrofited. Brake System Redone. new Calipers, new rear Brake Shoes. New Rad. New Head. New Starter, Rebuilt Tranny. Only thing I had to replace was my Power Steering hose on the top. The one Thats infront of the motor. Water pump at about 140K, with timming belt, And new Rad hose. Maybe paid 180 for all that, WITH Genuine honda Fluid for my POwer Steering! I love this honda. And They last forever! got 163k, and its Still kickin!

Slanter
09-02-2003, 01:54 PM
LOL... Pogilxi... I love that pic of the cat. is that yours??

PogiLXI
09-02-2003, 02:59 PM
nah it isnt, I forget where I got it from. Its Funny as hell isnt it?

88vert
10-18-2003, 10:16 AM
How hard was that power steering hose to replace?:)

offthahook
10-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i

Unless it's been abused or not taken care of, you really can't go wrong with any 3g Accord, regardless of miles. Of course stuff does wear out, like CV joints and fuel injectors on the LX-i, but that's just simple stuff replace it and your set for another 200k miles. As far as reliability, it can't be beat!

So I'd say if it's in real good shape, go for it! You won't be dissappointed! :)

True true. WIth the 3G, you can usually tell VERY quickly whether it has been maintained or not. If it is mint at 185K, it has been maintained. I would rather have a mint 150K Accord than a 90K Accord that has not been maintained. These cars are well engineered, so you can't just gas em up and go all the time. Well you can, but you'll notice failures on important stuff due to the neglect.

PogiLXI
10-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 88vert
How hard was that power steering hose to replace?:)
I didnt do it, My Meachanic Did it, It was on a lift. I think it was the highside. Anyways. on a lift it only took like 45 mins if that. so I would say, not that hard? it was hella cheep too.

NXRacer
10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
i just went and looked at an 87 lxi hatch yesterday and they were asking 3K for it. I went and looked at it and it had 222K and there were a LOT of problems (like no breaks!). Anyway i told the salesman that i wouldnt pay over 1000 for it. He asked the price i was thinking and i said 900 (which was still high) and he said OK. Hah hah i didnt even have any money. :D

johndej
10-18-2003, 06:11 PM
sounds like a good deal to me. ask the guy for any other records on it or anything. since its got some new stuff it should last you for atleast a few months even if thers something a little off. we got ours for 3K last year from a guy my dad knows at work. it had 135K on it and the guy had owned it since new. only thing we did was put new brakepads on it and drove it home.

MilTownSHO
10-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Seems like alot of money to me, I know they runforever though...

I paid $50 for mine with 173k on the clock and working A/C, its not in PERFECT shape and I know I got a deal, but it still seems like alot to me...?