PDA

View Full Version : Engine Advice - Any Mechanics?

sanjay
09-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Hey fellas,

My car is running alright at the moment, but I have a few problems.

Of late, the coolant level has been decreasing. I fill it up, but then it just goes down again.
I revved my car today, and told my gf to look for any smoke, and she said a little bit of *white smoke was coming out.
BINGO --> Possible head gasket crack, that would be leaking coolant into the combustion chamber, thus the white smoke?

In addition, i reckon my rear main seal is gone. The car leaks oil, maybe 5ml every night?
I think it consumes a little bit of engine oil too...

Having that said, should I just go down to the local wreckers and have them swap in the same A20A4 engine? (I live in australia and have a JDM motor)
Or should I loook into the B series engines - but they require more $$ and mounts etc.

PLus, my car has got rust. It's crusty rusty. Yuck! it looks alright now, but I think it needs to be flogged off.

I currently got a "FOR SALE" sticker on it, but no serious buyers :(

Should I just keep topping up on engine oil and coolant everyday? (I drive about 350-400miles a week.) (650km)

what do you guys think?

shepherd79
09-02-2003, 03:43 AM
actually, if you gonna change the engine, B20a should cost about the same at the junk yard.

sanjay
09-02-2003, 03:56 AM
Thanks Shepard, but my local junkyard is pov. We don't have ANY import accords. Although, there's no use in trying right?
Does the B20 Bolt right on? --> I'll use the search button, brb

Vinny
09-02-2003, 05:31 AM
If its in rough shape but you're attatched to it just replace it with the same motor or rebuild yours. I personaaly wouldn't go with a swap unless I had a car with a REALLY nice body and interior to put it in

dj99
09-02-2003, 06:28 AM
I would replace the head gasket myself, around $50 US. Then I would track down the oil leak. Hopefully it would be the easy oil pan gasket, but if not, I would just add oil.

shepherd79
09-02-2003, 08:14 AM
the big problem with oil leaks on A20 engines is crank vent on the bottom-back of the engine. there is a pipe that goes up from the oil pan to somekind box.
my leaks from the pipe, but i think that box is full of dirty oil and it just sips down the pipe.

sanjay
09-03-2003, 06:56 AM
thanks for the comments, fellas.

danronian
09-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
the big problem with oil leaks on A20 engines is crank vent on the bottom-back of the engine. there is a pipe that goes up from the oil pan to somekind box.
my leaks from the pipe, but i think that box is full of dirty oil and it just sips down the pipe.

Well if it is only a vent tube, would I be able to take it off in order to put a better clamp on it without having an explosion of dirty oil on my face? I know the reason it is leaking is b/c of that wire clamp, mainly b/c the clamp is so loose I can spin it arond the tube with my hand alone.