PDA

View Full Version : A20A / Changing The Timing is Retarded!

BootMachine
09-02-2003, 01:16 PM
OK...all I'd like to say is that changin the timing on the A20A engine is stupid!

that window for viewign the flywheel....garbage...you cant see crap through that little window!

PLUS...my ludes hood opens the wrong way so I have to take it off to check the timing!

Anyone feel my pain?

Dibbs
09-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Nope....don't have a 'Lude.

:flip:

Magny
09-02-2003, 03:15 PM
lol dude, if ya wanna mess with the timing, get in there lossen the bolts on the dis., turn on the car, go move the whole dis. ass. until you get the right feel for things. just remember one way is retarding it and the other way is advancing it.

I retarded mine by about .5 to 1.0 so that way when the piston is a little past TDC the spark ignites the gas to create downpressure, thus putting pressure on the piston as it goes down. so more or less like riding a bike to go foward. to me its a better way to put less strain on the piston rods while it is at TDC.

Also a note to that, my car has gotten alot faster doing this. I shoulda taken it to the track to do the before and after times, :lol damn it

2ndgenludedude
09-02-2003, 03:40 PM
i feel ur pain bro, i got a lude lol atleast the hoods come off easy on the ludes!

Sabz5150
09-04-2003, 06:30 AM
My friend had an 87 Lude 2.0Si, and yes we had to remove the hood to adjust the timing. As for my 3g, I've stripped out quite a bit of the junk that usually hangs about near that hole (PS lines, A/C lines, condenser, etc etc etc. So it's easy to see the needle through that little hole.

BootMachine
09-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Magny
lol dude, if ya wanna mess with the timing, get in there lossen the bolts on the dis., turn on the car, go move the whole dis. ass. until you get the right feel for things. just remember one way is retarding it and the other way is advancing it.

I retarded mine by about .5 to 1.0 so that way when the piston is a little past TDC the spark ignites the gas to create downpressure, thus putting pressure on the piston as it goes down. so more or less like riding a bike to go foward. to me its a better way to put less strain on the piston rods while it is at TDC.

Also a note to that, my car has gotten alot faster doing this. I shoulda taken it to the track to do the before and after times, :lol damn it

DUDE! I KNOW!

You gotta look in the window to adjust the timing properly man! For sure I'm using the dist but you gotta use a timing light too!

ALSO...you said you retarded your timing so you get the spark after TDC...you cant do that. Its called compression det. If your spark plug does not fire before the piston reaches TDC that gas is going to explode just from the pressure and because the explsion does not form from one place it creates shock waves and you hear a knock!

If you want more power run a higher octane gasoline and advance your timing. High octane gas burns slow but you get more POW from it so advance the timing BEFORE TDC so total gas expansion occurs 2-8Degrees AFTER TDC.

Your engine would not run with the timing set to TDC. The gas would explode from the pressure at TDC and not finish exploding until the exhaust UP stroke.......pumping loss my friend!

AND...I really hope you are using a timng light to do your timing....I tried to do it by ear for a while but you gotta use that light.....its a lot better!