PDA

View Full Version : i cross tred my spark hole in the block

1988_5spd_lxi
09-02-2003, 02:21 PM
i cross tred my spark hole in the block. i tap it out but the spark plug do not go down all the way. i don't fell too much powe lost. it all most the same. should i leave it because it is work or get a mechanic to push it down more. in the long run will it damage my motor.:(

MrBen
09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
I'd go to a machine shop who will have no trouble getting it out and putting an insert in.

zero.counter
It might either make contact with internals or allow foreign particles to flow in through the bad tread, assuming that the gap on the bad tread is that wide or big. Compression will be lost as well, resulting in some lost power, again depending on your particular circumstances.

Magny
it possibly will depending on the clearance, but yeah check with the mechanic to make sure that it gets seated the right way. if ya dont you got a rocket ready to shoot through your hood just about for not getting seated right. but thats my opinion on the matter.

how did you cross thread it anyways, you know your supposed to start it in by hand first. also it doesnt stop that fast if you did start it by hand. usually what i do is make sure the plug still wobbles when i screw it in until it seats.

Mac
09-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Not a good idea to leave it like that. It might seem like it's running all right, but could end up causing bigger problems down the road. You know it's not right, the time to fix it is now.

shepherd79
09-02-2003, 03:37 PM
i would get thread maker, and try rethreading the hole.
if you leave the way it is right now. spark plag may fly out the cylinder head and it can cause more damage.
if you don't know how to use thread maker, go to the shop.

1988_5spd_lxi
09-03-2003, 09:15 AM
"how did you cross thread it anyways, you know your supposed to start it in by hand first. also it doesnt stop that fast if you did start it by hand." the power steering hose was in the way so it mess up my position. i was not doing it by hand. i got all 3 in right but the last one wasn't.

1988_5spd_lxi
09-03-2003, 09:18 AM
i want to now if this happen to any body than me. just to make me feel good. becaues it is a foolish misstake

1988_5spd_lxi
09-03-2003, 09:28 AM
some mechanic down want to do it because they are do not want to make it in a bigger problem.

Dibbs
09-03-2003, 09:30 AM
The guy who owned the car before me kept his service records in his owners manual. He went to the Honda dealer every time. When I changed the plugs on my car for the first time, I found that the tech (at the dealer) who replaced the plugs on the car the time before had cross-threaded 2 of them! Talk about pissed! So i guess you shouldn't feel TOO bad considering you X-threaded only one of them.

Hope that makes you feel better :burn: