PDA

View Full Version : Fan wont turn off

Scarface
09-02-2003, 07:41 PM
About 6 months ago I was having transmission problems so I put my car in the garage until I could save enough maney to fix it. Obviously the battery was dead so I took it down to charge at a shop and they told me the battery bad. So I purchased a new battery.

Right when I got home I installed the new battery and just as I hooked up the positive terminal the fan turned on. I then proceeded to start the car which started with no problem . I then turned it off and went to have dinner (fan was still running) 20 minutes later I go to the garage and the fan is still going.

Does anyone have any ideas on why its doing this? I havent driven the car yet so maybe that will fix it. Doesnt the fan usually only turn on if the engine is hot to cool it down?

Any help or suggestions will be great.

Magny
09-02-2003, 07:48 PM
wow, um never had that happen to me, did you check the switch and see if it is faulty (stayin engaged)??? check the wires too mabey thats why your battery died the first time. the fan only comes on at a certain temp and turns off once it drops past another set temp. at least from what I understand. but yeah check the switch and the wires.

Scarface
09-02-2003, 07:53 PM
errrr

<------ Accord Newb

what switch do you speak of?

Eric89Carb.
09-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I think you should go in the fuse box under your hood and look at the fuse which says fan fuse i think i had this problem you should find out if it is stilll good if not then that will be the problem i think .. Becasue when you got a bad fuse with the fan it will stay on intill the wires tell the comp shit to turn off that is the fuse like a relay for the fan check the out dude

Scarface
09-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Damn , checked the fuses and there fine, but what about those relays in the fuse box. Do those ever go bad and if so how can you tell?

Well tomorrow Im taking the car to the tranny shop to see if they know whats with my tranny. Like I said I havent driven the car for 6 months so maybe its just needs to be driven. Never know...

anchovies
09-02-2003, 10:59 PM
It's probably the temperature switch. There are two for your car (I think). One at the bottom of the radiator and another on the thermostate housing. These switches might have bad connection and whenever the ign is ON, it completes the circuit. New switches are about $30 a piece or it's a pocket part from the yard.
It might also be the switch wires. Just check this parts first.

POS carb
09-03-2003, 08:42 AM
fuses usually cut power... it's most likely the themal sensor that makes it turn on or the timer unit is faulty.

Mac
09-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Yep, more than likely the switch is shorted. Look on the bottom of radiator for a switch and disconnect it. If the fan stops running your switch is bad. If it still runs then the wiring is faulty and shorted somewhere.

cruznz
09-04-2003, 01:21 AM
hmmmm....relay or fan control module fault