View Full Version : removing stripes on side of the car

nwo504
09-02-2003, 07:57 PM
whats the best way to remove these?

MrBen
09-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Are they painted on or stickers?

If paint: Use GS27
If sticker: Use a scraper that will not scratch paint and scrape away. Lots of people use their finger nails.

BITESIZE
09-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I used my driver's liscence and plenty of bug/tar remover. Also if it's just pinstriping....use a blowdryer or sit your car in the sun for a little to warm it up. The pinstriping will all peel off nicely!

zero.counter
09-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Use an eraser bit on your power drill and run on a low speed setting and it will erase off the pin-striping with no problem.

They usually come in dremel kits and such.

MattsAccord
09-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Has anyone done this? And if so was the paint different from the pin stripe compared to the paint on the rest of the body?

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-03-2003, 07:21 AM
i took my stripes off long ago. i use the nail approach, got one end to pull up and just pulled slowly and it came off into one big ball. it took me maybe 10 min. to do. i do notice if i look close faint stripes where they had been. the lines almost look like they were removed(painted on ones) and the car was just repainted. it left a small "divot" all the way down the car. it's really hardly noticeable, but still it sucks. when i bought it the guy said he had gotten it painted, yeah and they did a crappy job too. several spots of overspray on it. oh well, i'll just get it redone at some point.

Morbid Intentionz
09-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Well i used a razor blade.....prolly a big no no if you dont have steady hands

NeubJ
09-03-2003, 09:36 AM
I had the red and gold pinstripes on each side.
I used a blowdryer and my fingernails on one side (ouch!!Let your fingernails grow some before you attempt this :lol If your gonna use that method ) It took a long time because only very small sections were coming off at a time.
I wanted to get both sides done the same day so I used some lacquer thinner on the other side-

I used some turtle rubbing compound to clean it up then nice wax.
Looks so much better!