PDA

View Full Version : What is the best oil filter?

fuzzy audio
09-02-2003, 09:38 PM
What is the best brand of oil filter?

And on an aside, is there an oversized one for are accords?

fuzzy audio
09-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Half the reason why I am asking this is that I've recently read some not so great things about Fram.

88accordhatchdx
09-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Like what? My parents have used Fram oil filters for at least 10 years now and nothing bad ever happened. I'm not sure what oil filter to use now

AZmike
09-02-2003, 09:45 PM
This is the best information I have seen:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I think I remember that Purolator was one of the best.

2old_honda
09-02-2003, 09:45 PM
I would NOT buy a fram or pennzoil. I usually use a WIX or a Purolator pureone. Another good one is the Mobil 1 filter but it is like $10

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Fram sucks balls.... they use crappy bypass valves that don't work right half the time. Everytime I've used one, I get that nice oil starvation 'tick tick tick tick' when I start up after it's been sitting awile. I used to use Honda filters, but now the new 'made in Canada' ones, are actually made by Fram, and I was getting the same oil starvation noise. I switched to Purolator Pure One, and haven't heard any ticking noises even once yet, even after the car sits for a day or 2 without running.

SiR
09-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Then i have the last of the real Honda filters. I know which ones you are talking about. I ve seen both kinds.

danronian
09-03-2003, 03:29 AM
I never realized the ticking until this thread mentioned it. I have always used fram mainly b/c i didn't think there was a difference. Now I am switching to purolator premium plus.

Another question related to this: When changing oil is there any way possible that you can fill the oil filter at all to not allow the mass amount of clicking at startup? I don't think there is since the position of the filter is horizontal, not allowing it to be filled with oil at all, but I thought maybe someone here had some ingenius idea about it possibly.

A20A1
09-03-2003, 03:40 AM
I use the high performance K&N ones... if I get my oil changed at some fast service oil change place then they always stick in some generic brand. :(

Vinny
09-03-2003, 04:04 AM
I only use wix or purolator

danronian
09-03-2003, 05:21 AM
This is one of those threads that makes you really appreciate this message board. If i hadn't known this my car would be clicking noises at startup for much longer.

SteveDX89
09-03-2003, 06:49 AM
I've been using Fram for 2 years now but I guess I'll be switching to something else now.

SiR
09-03-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by danronian
Another question related to this: When changing oil is there any way possible that you can fill the oil filter at all to not allow the mass amount of clicking at startup? I don't think there is since the position of the filter is horizontal, not allowing it to be filled with oil at all, but I thought maybe someone here had some ingenius idea about it possibly.

You can fill it a little bit. If you're realy concern about it, you can just run the engine by the starter only by disconnecting the power to the distributer until sufficent oil pressure is achived. Never tried it so i dont know how long you should do this for.

shepherd79
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
I don't use FRAM at all. i just don't trust this brand.
Fram doesn't have enough holes inside the filter for good oil flow.
i use STP. i used to use Bosch but i campared to STP and they looked the same. so i switched to STP. never had any oil starvation problem or anything like that.

bobafett
09-03-2003, 10:21 AM
damn this was a good thread. i always used fram cause i thought they were good. well i am happy that now i will use something else and hopefully the car will be happier for it.

DeathRat
09-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Well I'm persoanlly a little biased! I'm an Independant AMSOIL Dealer! Check out my web site for more info: http://www.geocities.com/deathrat64/baciad.html
:smokin:

zero.counter
09-03-2003, 04:08 PM
WIX and Honda OEM seem to have been good for me. I have used them all, but I have not had any issues in particular. I just fall for the advertisements of the WIX and go with Honda OEM when I pass by a dealership every so often.

Mac
09-03-2003, 06:19 PM
I personally like to stay with Honda filters and gaskets. I think for the extra money they are worth it. It might be just a myth that I fell for but they aren't that much more money so what the hell. I figure it can't hurt to stay with original parts if you can.

danronian
09-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Mac
I personally like to stay with Honda filters and gaskets. I think for the extra money they are worth it. It might be just a myth that I fell for but they aren't that much more money so what the hell. I figure it can't hurt to stay with original parts if you can.

But if you read earlier in the thread, someone stated that they compared the honda and fram and figured out that recently fram started making honda filters.

Mac
09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
All I was doing was stating my opinion, like everyone else. I don't think that I got a Honda filter made in Canada yet. The last ones I got were blue. I never thought to look where they were made. I'm not having an oil starvation problem. If I do get one and I hear clicking on start up I will stop using them.

2old_honda
09-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by danronian

I fill my filter about 1/2 full. I then swirl it around right before I put it on so the oil gets cought up on the filter material and dosent spill out. I usually have good luck with this method, and rarely spill oil out when i turn the filter on its side to screw it on.

AccordEpicenter
09-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda filters have the most filter area of any filter. I use honda ones

Magny
09-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy audio
What is the best brand of oil filter?

And on an aside, is there an oversized one for are accords?

Dude the only thing I can think of for you askin this question, is a remote dual filter set-up. That'll get your oversize that you are askin for. Im getting my kit in soon.

AZmike
09-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
Honda filters have the most filter area of any filter.

How do you know that?

SiR
09-04-2003, 06:09 AM
I remember a post MANY boards ago about this very matter. Someone had a link to a website opening all filters including Honda, and Honda had the most. (Before the FRAM made-ones). Someone here has to remember.

Magny
09-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by DeathRat
I'm an Independant AMSOIL Dealer!

Yo dude, you gotta dual remote filter setup that I can get from ya. the people I ordered a set from is back-ordered/out-of-stock and wont have anything for about a year.

I like the dual set up, the cleaner the better hehehehe

bobafett
09-20-2003, 12:21 PM
purolator filters... where can i buy them? i dont think napa or schucks carries them, i will have to find an autozone close to my house :D

fuzzy audio
09-20-2003, 07:58 PM
GI JOes has em bobafett

SteveDX89
09-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Advance Auto Parts has them.

bobafett
09-21-2003, 09:13 AM
coool coool/ i think i know where a GI JOES is near my house! thx guys...

pimp86LX
09-21-2003, 09:43 AM
FRAM PWNS JOO!!!

Ive used fram on all our vehicles every since i can remember. Never had a tick or anything like that

on average we got 400,000km + from all our imports