PDA

View Full Version : Taking the 86 off the road....

YK86
05-01-2002, 01:28 AM
I'm sure no one gives a crap but with the rock incident and stuff, I think I am going to take it off the road for a while. What I plan on doing is:
1)Pull out the engine/tranny again so I can clean and paint it like I did with the 88 so it looks brand new
2)Fix the clutch since it binds sometimes making it sound like a POS when I start it up
3)Fix the dent on the fender and rust bubbles in the rear wells myself and try to smooth out the rear valance a bit, maybe take off that crappy spoiler and get a 4th gen one if I can get a good deal.
4)Undercoat everything to help keep the rust away for a while
5)Get another Maaco paint job
What happend was the insurance estimator said the repairs for the rock damage would cost $300 CAD which is the same as the deductible so I am better off getting it fixed myself. SO I might as well repaint the whole car and fix some other stuff for a few more $. I am thinking about prepping it myself and taking my own paint this time. I won't paint the front bumper since the paint on there is top quality stuff from when I got it fixed at my friend's shop from a previous accident. The total bill for this would only be $600 CAD (more if I get a new spoiler). What do you guys think??? Does it sound like a good plan? I can't do this right away since I don't have much time or any extra money but if it's off the road, I can work on it slowly as I find time and it should be done by summer time.

A20A1
05-01-2002, 01:32 AM
I can't even last a week without driving the car... arrrgg :)

Go for it... I don't know how much I've got spotted throughout the undercarriage and such... but I'm sure it needs work... taking the engine out and painting it is something I really want to do... I would love to have full access to all the engine parts.

MoonScryer
05-01-2002, 05:28 AM
Go for it Yasu. You got too much time in that car to let it go to pot, and now is a perfect time to work it over. Yeah, I know about the minor rust thing; I got a tad bit bubbling in the lower corner by the bumper. It shall be fixed REAL soon.

carotman
05-01-2002, 05:42 AM
Yup, that sounds like a good plan :)

I plan to do that too in the not too far future. I got a spare engine anyway.

88LXi68
05-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Yasu,
Make the 86 a show car. Get everything straightened up and start bringing it to shows. Garage it in the winter if you can and do little show things to it.

87Hybrid
05-01-2002, 05:53 PM
That is a winner of an Idea that way you can take your time on it and get it as close to perfect as you want it.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Wow, your gonna have your hands full, sounds like a great plan.

YK86
05-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Thanks for replying guys! I'm sure if I take my time and slowly work on it, the body will be in pretty good shape when I'm done. I may even cut out the rust and replace it with new metal. I guess it's not that much money I'll be spending so I might as well fix it up one last time. Got to find the time to do it though.......

1989 DX R
05-01-2002, 08:51 PM
If you make it a show car, that would be very cool. I hope to have enough money by the end of this summer to begin work on my car. Interior, engine rebuild, Weber carb, cam, etc.

damackz
05-01-2002, 11:11 PM
:werd: yeah man sounds like a good plan.......macco again?! that car needs a base/clear paintjob man!!!! but yeah i am doing the undercarriage spray tomm, did tha white guages today didnt turnout as well as i planned.....how did u do the fuel guage for tha 86?! newayz good luck man and in no tyme tha car will be bling blinging the streets again peace! :pimp: