PDA

View Full Version : Wierd transmission shifting

Slanter
09-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Well, I just baught a 87 Honda Accord LXI hatchback, love the car so far, except I noticed something wierd driving it home. When driving over about... 40 mph or so, if you push the pedal to the ground the transmission shifts and the RPMs rocket up to about 5-6k rpms. I'm not sure if its going out of gear, or just shifting to a waaaaay low gear or what. this happen to anyone else? the transmission was replaced about a year ago on it, so hopefully it doesn't need to be scrapped.:wtf:

Slanter
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
actually it more happens around 50mph

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Don't worry.... that's completely normal for ANY auto tranny. When you step on the gas, it downshifts to a lower gear so you can do what you obviously want to do (by flooring it), which is get you're ass moving! At higher speeds (above 50 or so), it's sometimes referred to as 'passing gear'. As long as it shifts back up after you speed up and let off the gas a bit, and it doesn't slip at all, you're tranny is just fine.

:)

Slanter
09-03-2003, 03:18 PM
well whats wierd though is that when it shifts down, the car doesn't speed up at all. the RPM's just soar.

klaner
09-03-2003, 03:45 PM
There's a little cable adjuster on the front of the engine down by the tranny filler that will adjust when it kicks down to passing gear, might try that

Slanter
09-03-2003, 08:20 PM
a cable? oh yea... do I tighten that nut or something? lol... Ihave no idea if I should make it kick to a passing gear at lower rpms or higher... or blah. maybe I should take it in and have it looked at.

SiR
09-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Dont adjust or tighten anything!

Your tranny is slipping. First try drain it and put new ATF in it and let it warm up and selecting all gears in the shifter. Then see how that goes.

Slanter
09-04-2003, 06:21 PM
lol... the tranny is slipping? lovely... guess that means new tranny eh?

SiR
09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Slanter
lol... the tranny is slipping? lovely... guess that means new tranny eh?

First try exhanging the ATF.