PDA

View Full Version : B20a? Wtf?

dr_dohc
09-03-2003, 03:30 PM
ok...sorry my ignorance, i spend about 20 min reading of some of these threads and it didn't answer my question so i figure i'd ask them here...

isn't the B20A the motor from the prelude from 88-91 that has its extra displacement from stroking the motor meaning that it has a very bad rod to stroke ratio?

I'm readin something about a JDM B20A, I dont know much about it, say nothing about it, could someone explain to me what is so good about this engine?

I was thinking along the lines of the B20Z or the JDM B20B which has 143hp and 132lbs of torque stock...a few places have shown that this motor has mad potentials even without the vtec head...

I belive the honda hybrid page showed that 158hp and 153lbs of torque can be easily achived with only a cat back, LS intake manifold and header, not even a intake...I'd figure with a AEM CAI, mid cams, and skunk intake manifold, one would be in the 175hp and 165lbs of torque to the fly range...

so whats going on here? am i not seeing something?

NXRacer
09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
there is a lot of stuff floating around here and i understand your confusion. It took me about 3 days of reading all the info before i fully understood what they were talking about.

The b20a that is talked about on this forum is from the JDM 3rd gen accord. Its NOT the same motor that came in the early preludes nor is it the same (or even close to) the motor thats in the CRV (b20b). Its a specialized motor that will only fit in our cars. A LOT of motor importers will tell you there is no such thing or will confuse it with the prelude motor. The JDM version has 160 hp and a 137 ft/lbs torque. There is also a Euro version, but it has a slightly lower HP rating.

Hope that helps ya a little more. Keep reading and you'll find all the info necessary to get a full grasp of what this motor is and how it fits in our cars. its frustrating sometimes, but you'll get it in the end.

Good luck

carotman
09-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Very good answer NXRacer. In the early 80's Honda liked to give different engines a similar name. The B20A we're talking about, like NXRacer said, is a specific motor made for the 2g prelude and 3g accord. It's not the same engine found in the 88-91 preludes. HOWEVER, they are mostly the same internaly. Which means they suffer from this "awful" rod/stroke ratio.

This ratio isn't that bad. It's just not optimal for high revs. That engine is very reliable for it's time and can go past 200 000 miles without problem. The "bad" engine is the B21A from the USDM preludes... that one was unreliable... it would start to burn alot of oil around 120k miles.

If you search on the net, you'll have to be very specific and be ready to use a translator. Most of the info you will find will be from northern Europe or Eastern europe and some Japanese pages along the way. That engine came before the import scene spreaded like mad, making it a less popular engine in the US.

Just look for the Accord CA3 chassis or Vigor CA3. The 2nd gen Vigor in Japan is in fact a 3rd gen Accord in Japan... WAYYYYY before we even knew about the Vigor here.

You can also look for the Accord CA2 which had a B18A engine. That engine, again, has nothing to do with the B18A1 found in the USDM Integra. It's a destroked B20A Accord engine... and it has a dual carb setup.

You have alot of info to chew on now.... do some research and ask questions here, Some members shall answer your questions.

YOu'Re lucky, I'm in a very helpful mood now. :D

dr_dohc
09-03-2003, 04:49 PM
The JDM version has 160 hp and a 137 ft/lbs torque

sweet jesus...thats some pretty good stats...how in the world did it end up getting 160hp from the start?

I'm guessing like most B series motors, this motor has a pretty good header from the start right?

Will all the other B series parts go on just fine?

anyone know where I can fine these motors? any web sites? sorry if i'm repeating alot of things thats been said but you just got me all excited...:D

carotman
09-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Some of the B series parts will work, some not.

Check that post http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5907 Yasu managed to install some B16A adjustable camgears. The B16A or B18C5 intake manifold will fit with slight modifications. Same with the pistons (the wrist pin has a different size). You can use H23A rods.

The only problem is the exhaust manifold, no aftermarket header exists. However, the OEM manifold has a 4-2-1 design from the factory...

Where to get that engine?!?!?! from an engine importer.... and even there, you'll get werid faces... and some will tell you it doesn't exist.... riiiight... just do alot of research.

Any other questions?