PDA

View Full Version : sirius radio

ShawnS
09-03-2003, 10:01 PM
so my deck recently started smoking and is now a fancy paperweight. so i'm in the market for a new one.

does anyone have satelite radio?
i see lots of commercails and shit for it, but i've yet to speak to anyone who actually has it.
i'm just looking for some opinions before i decide if i want to put out the $$$ for a compatible deck.

thanks

Slanter
09-03-2003, 11:29 PM
hehe... When I got my first car (A crappy 88 ford tempo... bleh...) I hooked up a fancy cd player that my friend had laying around... turned it on, something inside went "pop" and smoke poured out. lol... so much for that.... of course... that car also caught on fire itself on my way home from work... but thats another story... anyways, i've heard good tihngs about XM radio. you can buy portable recievers that hook right up to your car for about $130 at wal-mart.

Vinny
09-04-2003, 04:08 AM
A gut I worked with in OKC had XM on his 2003 GMC Pickup and it was a pretty cool deal. The clarity was amazing and the selection was good. Every kind of music imaginable, news, sports, comedy it has it all. Some people I've talked to say XM has too many commercials compared to Sirius. I have an XM radio head unit and plan on going that way soon. OF course the worst part of it is even though the h/u is compatable you still need the tuned module for it so plan on adding another 125-150 for that part of the system

mindlos
09-04-2003, 07:40 AM
So that that commercial free thing is bogus on this satellite radio crap?? Did I make that assumption or was that part of the selling point?

Vinny
09-04-2003, 07:55 AM
yeah thats what I thought but its not 100% commercial free or at least what I have heard isn't. Here's a lil link from consumer guide http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/editorial/features/index.cfm/act/feature18 tells what sattelite radio is, what it offers and what is and isn't commercial free. Sirius is def does less commercials than XM.......alot less according to the guide

89cordlx
09-04-2003, 09:58 AM
my friend has sirius for his 97 stratus, he loves it but says reception kinda breaks up if there are alot of trees overhead.... so I could only imagine a tunnel