PDA

View Full Version : Internal engine preformance

89accordtre
06-16-2002, 09:18 AM
I got a hold of a little bit of money so I think im going to do a little interanl engine work. I do want a new camshaft. However I was wondering if you guys knew what the best cam would be to get.
Crower........Colt......?

Plus what would be the best thing to do besides the cam for a horsepower increase (internal engine)

smufguy
06-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Do you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake)? how is your AC is it working still? if the compressor seized up, remove it and lose the belt, u would gain some hp with that. how about ignition? If u dont have one, get either a MSD or Accel. NGK plugs and 8mm wires. get a header if u dont. crane cams are ones u can look into too. Colt is what A20A1 has so talk to him about the performance on that one. How much money do u got? think about NOS :flash:

smufguy
06-16-2002, 05:57 PM
oh sorry, i thought u were talking under the hood. my bad. see if u can bore out your cylinders and get higher compression pistons. thats pretty much all u can do inside the engine beside the camgear custom grinding.

89accordtre
06-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Hey smufguy Right now I have
msd ignition box...
blaster 2 coil...
pacesetter catback...
hollowed out cat-coverter...
9mm spark wires...
iridium spark plugs...
its carbed so i have a flipped lid...
advanced timing....
30 shot of nos....
coilovers...

and im ready for some internal stuff so you got any ideas let me know......and thanks

89accordtre
06-16-2002, 06:35 PM
Oh yea i also removed my cruise control.....
And the dc headers are on the way...

Afrosheen
06-16-2002, 09:01 PM
"Right now I have
msd ignition box...
blaster 2 coil...
pacesetter catback...
hollowed out cat-coverter...
9mm spark wires...
iridium spark plugs...
its carbed so i have a flipped lid...
advanced timing....
30 shot of nos.... "

So you have about as much power as a stock 86-89LXI? I suggest you go for an EFI conversion next. A little more flexible to upgrade and more power/reliability.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 89accordtre
Oh yea i also removed my cruise control.....
And the dc headers are on the way...

Curious, are you sure their on the way or did they tell you they were going to be drop shipped from dc sports? Where did you find DC Sports headers at?

89accordtre
06-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I got the headers from friend in Georgia who is shipping them to me. He is selling the parts off his car. So I got his headers. Im debating on whether to get a weber carb or do the efi swap. And on removing the a/c smufguy said that removing the a/c components would give a little more horsepower. Would that be the same thing as not using a/c at all?

MoonScryer
06-17-2002, 04:25 AM
Just cut the belt off the AC compressor; same thing. It's to remove the drag of it on the crankshaft/engine that is the key to it. I left mine on, due to wanting A/C soon :p

Oh, this friend of yours in Georgia: he got an email address, and any other parts he wants to sell? I'm in need of some stuff.

rallyeNate
06-18-2002, 08:11 PM
"crower.......colt"
i am realy pissed off at crower to completely honest. i sent in a cam to be regound to 213int dur/ 224ext dur @0.450 lift. they sent me 200/216 @0.250/0.288 lift. they never told me that they could not deliver what i asked for, they just reground the cam and sent it back. i will say that they did do a good job at regrinding the cam and everything else was every top notch. but if you do a good job repainting someones car and it is the wrong color, they wont be happy.

all my cam spec are at 0.050 lobe llift

smufguy
06-18-2002, 08:32 PM
where do u live 89accordtre? loking at the set up for your NOS, i dont think it would be wise to change to efi considering whole new headers, manifold, ecu, emissions and all that crap. get a webber if ur down south. or even in the mid. if in the north, its better to do the conversion in about a couple of years. oh yeah man, how about some gear ratio messups? i heard u can change your gear ratios (if u have a truck load of money) try doing that. get a quick shifter too. that woudl look awsome on your car. i like your mods so far man. real performance, i like it. its not like those ricy shit everyone does. wheels and a muffler and they call is performance. man........ ppl are still in grade school. :rolleyes:

pimp86LX
06-18-2002, 08:41 PM
a 30 shot? with stock internals? i'm looking at a nitrous kit to add to my stock a20a1 ....its only got 186k and its in its prime condition....as long as a stay away from running lean i wont detonate will i? how is your's set up with the carb? oh so many questions... heh heh

89accordtre
06-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the compliments smufguy.....I think I am going to do the weber cause I live in Mississippi (such a wonderful place):barf: Its really hard to find help with swaps down here. I will look into the gear ratio's but the closest place that would do that is like 8 hours away.:( Im never satisfied I just always want to go faster.

And Pimp86lx The Nitrous kit i have is and adjustable 20-30 shot. And in my opinion is safe on stock internals. The only thing i did is advance my timing one degree just to safe from detonation

Mantis88LX
06-20-2002, 06:28 PM
hey man im in AL ;)

A20A1
06-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Raising octane and retarding timing helps prevent detonation...
is it dry or wet N2o System??

I love my cam, I got it from COLT...
most people don't like it cause the bottom end power is close to non-existant below 3,600 rpm... i have to drop it from neutral and press the gas just to get the revs high enough to get a proper start.

The top end has power till 7,500... but since I still have stock header I'm not getting full power after 5,500.
I had to get a larger filter for the weber... richen the mixture for the secondary... and i still need to get a better ignition coil since the accel only goes to like 6,500 rpm :(
once i solve the exhaust flow and ignition problems i'll head for a dyno.

A neat but harmful thing i did to the auto trans... I removed the TV/KICKDOWN cable... and in it's place i stuck a spring... the spring held the trans lever up, but with the 2mm of play recommended.

I can usaually get 1st to hold to 5,500 rpm
I can drive in 2 till 85 mph or 7,500 rpm
D3 till 125 mph or 7,500rpm
D4 slips and will barely rev past 2,500 rpm... i lose power, but I haven't really tested it cause I run out of safe speeding zone...

The cool part about the spring holding the trans lever is that the car wont shift till it reaches max rpms. so i can drive around and maintain 4,000 rpms then stomp the gas when i'm in the clear... (this is while racing)

real bad on gas milage... :(

Afrosheen
06-20-2002, 08:46 PM
You're gonna destroy your transmission treating it that way. Plan on replacing it soon. D2 isn't designed for 45mph or higher and D3 isn't designed to hold much over 60-70. Oh well, it's your car. :sadwave:

A20A1
06-20-2002, 09:04 PM
How do you know this... did someone test the trasn?
I mean i'm not into breaking things... I've never had problems plus I have 2 B&M oil coolers for the trans fluid... and while driving or if the fan is on, the fins on the cooler is not even hot to the touch.

besides... isn't the trans run mostly by the fluid :confused:

Hell I'll be the test dummy on how mucht the trans can take... that way I save you some money...

s0crates82
06-20-2002, 09:36 PM
A20A1, did you get the Mid, Mild, or Wild grind?

A20A1
06-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Mild I think... or a custom Mild-Wild

Update:
My auto trans has lasted two A20 engines and ran strong all the way to 2006 when my car was towed...

jteuton
06-22-2002, 12:43 PM
nonononono....i want to be the transmission tester. Anywayz....these transmission put up with more shit than anybody gives them credit. Ever heard of neutral drop?...HaHaHaHa....I sometimes hold the gears out until it sounds like a gear is fixing to spin loose but it always shifts right. I've been doing it that way for two weeks....(new rebuild on engine)....i'll keep yall posted on when i kick its ass.....jteuton

POS carb
06-25-2002, 09:07 AM
mike you are torturing your car, get a stick conversion! It wouldn't be hard considering how stripped down your car is!
See ya :super: