PDA

View Full Version : Air coming from heater not hot

Aarie$$oul
09-04-2003, 10:51 AM
I just tryed my heater, since we recently had a cold day in jersey. It's blowing out air. It's not really hot. The car just recently got put back on the road so it's the first time the heat has been tried in like a year. What could be the issue?

BootMachine
09-04-2003, 12:21 PM
If your engine temp is up and the air is cold it could be

- hose running from the block to the heater core (coolant flow has stopped)

- valve that opens flow is broken

- slider in dash is broken so you cant open the valve

- cable is broken and cant open the valve

If the engine temp wont come up it might be:

- frozen thermostat in the head

- cooling fans are stuck on

- you have no coolant

- you have super coolant

- engine temp sensor is broken

Work from there and keep us posted!

joebeets
09-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Open your radiator and check your coolant level. Gauge can be normal but you can still be low enough to starve your heater.

Aarie$$oul
09-30-2003, 08:51 AM
update...heater is ok. thanks guys!

Aarie$$oul
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
update...heater is not ok! lol

My engine tempt is fine, but I'm getting cold air when the heat is supposed to be on.

this was suggested for possible problems..

If your engine temp is up and the air is cold it could be

- hose running from the block to the heater core (coolant flow has stopped)

- valve that opens flow is broken

- slider in dash is broken so you cant open the valve

- cable is broken and cant open the valve

HOw much do you think it will cost to get my heat up and running?

shepherd79
10-30-2003, 10:09 AM
i had the same problem. remove the two hoses that go from the engine to the heater core.
how take the hose that doesn't have the valve on it.
connect to the water hose. open the heater valve and turn on the water. you will be supriced how many rust and other particles will come out. i did that on my car and i never had any problems with heater again.

Burban88
12-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Hey I'm a newbee and I actualy had a problem, did a search and tried to fix it before asking a question. Anyway now my problem, had cold air coming from heater. i took both hoses off the heater core checked flow valve was working, it was. Took the bottom radiator hose off from block. I ran the car untill temp was up, hooked up garden hose flushed heater core and radiator. The water was shit brown. I put everything back together, filled with coolant and the air is still only barely warm. What should I try next?

A20A1
12-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
i had the same problem. remove the two hoses that go from the engine to the heater core.
how take the hose that doesn't have the valve on it.
connect to the water hose. open the heater valve and turn on the water. you will be supriced how many rust and other particles will come out. i did that on my car and i never had any problems with heater again.

rust and bars stop leak. :( I'm glad I got rid of my core.

Justin86
12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Yea it is a good idea to flush you radiator to help get the crap that builds up. Also be carefull when removeing the heater hoses cause they are really expensive. It helps to get a screw driver to loosen the hoses around there fittings or plliers if you twist the hose to get it loose. :)

Morpheus
12-07-2003, 06:33 PM
I have super coolant! :flash:

k-roy
12-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Change the thermostat first.

rocky2
12-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Get car hot and feel heater lines going into firewall(heater core).This method does not lie.

If both hoses are hot...its a problem inside dash.

If one hose is hot its a clogged core or a bad valve

if both hoses and radiato
r hoses are cold its a bad thermostst

A "TIP"..........try this 1st

TRY TO GET AS MUCH COOLENT INTO SYSTEM AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE!!!

squezze upper hose
you may see level reciede then add a very little

the key hear is to get the air out you want 100% fliud

Try to add coolent to a upper radiator hose thats disconnected from the radiator then quickly put back on without spilling any.you may need a third hand.

Sometimes you will get more heat when you do this.

Burban88
12-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Update on heater.

My wife drove the car for awhile and she complained it's still cold. That night we went to the store and steam was coming from under the hood. When I popped the hood the front of the radiator was wet. So I guess I have a leak which joebeets said could starve the heater core. The heater core lines at the firewall were cold when the engine temp. was at operating temp.. So I guess I will get the radiator fixed then see whats up. The heater got hotter and hotter the longer we drove. weird! Thanx for the suggestions!

smufguy
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
This is what i think might be able to solve ur problem

- TRy replacing your thermostat

- Try replacing the control valve for the heater core (in the engine bay, near the firewall)

- Check to see fit he cable attached to the control valve is intact

- Inside ur car, look under the console (behind the radio) and see if there are two cables connected to the heater core on the bottom.

- IF the flip switch in bwt the center two vents on the dask is in Fresh air or Not (there should be no blue arrow in front of the guy)

- See if you got enough coolent and water mixture

See if that works, cuz its all there is for the heater to work.