PDA

View Full Version : Squeeling + check engine light=?

Coitis1
09-04-2003, 11:22 AM
These last couple of days after school i've started my car and heard a faint squeeling and the check engine light would be on for about a minute, then go off. WTF could be wrong? I was thinking it was a belt, but i don't know squat. Can someone help me out?

blazin3gen
09-04-2003, 11:38 AM
i dunno man last time i had horrible squeaking was cuz of my alternator belt try loosing it or tighting it

B2FiNiTY
09-04-2003, 11:47 AM
It's one of your belts. They are slipping.

Coitis1
09-04-2003, 06:25 PM
thanks, thats what my dad suggested. I'm tired of sinking money into this car, but i know if i get rid of it and get another car within my price range that i will have to make all the same repairs. Its a lose-lose situation. Oh well, i met a really really hot azz chick tonite, so i'm not gonna worry about it tonite.

anchovies
09-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Put ignition to on and check the number of blinks on the ecu (under the driver seat, pop open the small window) then check with FAQ section.

Coitis1
09-05-2003, 10:48 AM
oh yeah, i forgot to check the ecu. I haven't checked it in forever. So if take my car to my mechanic w/ a check engine light on, will he be able to tell me whats wrong? I'll probably find out for myself before i take it to him, but i'm just curious.

3G Jester
09-05-2003, 11:02 AM
belts wil only set you back like 15 bucks. and it most likely your alt belt. so its not too bad. worry not.

zero.counter
09-07-2003, 07:50 PM
The ALT belt is cheap, autozone micro-V is 12.99. Check the tension of all of your belts. Also, check their condition. On the ALT and PS belt, they are ribbed (for her pleasure...:)) and the tracks can break off any cause slipping. The compressor belt has notches and does not usually cause problems unless it is really bad.

The compressor belt is the easiest, being that you loosen the locking bolt (I think it was 14mm) and then the tensioning bolt below the locking bolt 10mm or 11mm I can't remember. Then just slide the compressor down and the belt can be adjusted or replaced.
To check the tension for the PS belt, you will have to remove the water shroud from underneath the car and use a 14mm socket to loosen the locking nut. The tensioner should be a 8mm bolt sticking out with a 10mm nut for adjusting the lock. Turn it counter-clockwise until it is almost out. You should be able to slide the pump to loosen the belt.
The alternator/waterpump belt can be adjusted from the top of the engine bay. Right above the alt. there is a bolt with an adjustable position mount. Then there is another bolt on the alt. going through a part of the mount extruding and on the otherside a nut for adjustment. The bolt on the adjustable position mount is a 12mm one so you can loosen, then loosen the tensioner nut and then remove or inspect the belt. The reverse for tightening/replacing. The order is 1) A/C belt, 2) Powersteering belt., 3) ALT, WATERPUMP belt

Worstcase if you let it go to hell (alt belt) you will overheat and the alt won't charge the battery, possibly leaving you stranded somewhere. It will take about an hour to replace, and you might as well replace all three belts for a total cost of around $30 at most. Good Luck!