PDA

View Full Version : probs with 89 lxi help needed

zx7ninja
09-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey guys, you have helped me out so far, and hope you can help me out more. If anyone remembers my previous posts, i'm buying this car, and there were probs with the shop where it was at. Well, we got the car back, and it soes have a couple probs. First, the stalling problem I mentioned earlier happens when the tank is full, but not when almost empty. I've been told this could be the fuel pump. The distrubutor does need replacing, as mentioned in my earlier posts. So that's 2 probs right there.
Well, I took the car out last night, and noticed that the tranny was slipping. Pretty badly. When driving real easy it only slips a bit. But when pushing it a bit, it slips like crazy. For example:
I push the car to 5000rpm in first, push the clutch, and shift to second. In second, the car will go, but will spin at 5000rpm for a few seconds, then slowly start to drop in rpm's until it catches and the car drives normally again. Will also happen from 2nd to 3rd. Didn't even bother trying 4th or 5th.

Do you think it can be adjusted, or do I need to replace the clutch?

Problem is, the car is costing me 500 bucks. That was fine for the car when it was first presented to me as in near mint condition with no probs. Now I might have to put all this money into it, and it's starting to seem not worth it. I mean, the whole point behind buying the car was because I have had a prob with my insurance company over an accident that never happened in my brand new car , and until the court case is over(i'm suing them), cannot afford to insure it.(they say I had an at-fault accident, and i've never been in an accident in my life)
Also it was so I could have a car to drive in the winter and let my new car sit, and new get screwed up from the ice, snow, salt, sand, etc....

But now it looks like the amount of money I might have to throw into the car would actually be more than what it would cost me to drive my new car again, which defeats the whole purpose of buying the car.

So what do I do? Are these easy or costly fixes? If costly, how much?Do I still buy the car for 500 bucks? Given the situation, is it still worth it? I really need the help here guys. I need to make a decision, and I have no idea what to do.

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 12:14 PM
A few questions for you first....

Where in CT do you live? Also, how come it needs a new disty? Last, if it is the clutch, that's now a bad job at all to do, just takes time. The job itself is not that hard. A new clutch with all hardware can be found out on ebay for dirt cheap and it'll do the job if it's just a daily driver. How's the body/interior on the car? If it's in good shape, you and I both know, finding an accord of that age around here without the wheel wells rusted through is not an easy task. Get back to me and we'll go from there.

PS> How mechanically inclined are you?

87AccordsterLx
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
moved to the Technical section... :)

zx7ninja
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
markmdz89hatch: I'm not too far from you actually, I live in Naugatuck. The dist needs replacement because, although it's found out that it's not the cause of thr problem, it is contributing to it. Well, either the distributor or the coil. I'm just going with worst case scenario by saying the dist.
The body/interior of the car is fine. Except for some normal wear on the driver's seat, which is to be expected, it's in exceptionally good condition.
I am moderately machanically inclined, and have worked on quite a few cars, although admittedly I have very limited exposure to working on a Honda/japanese engine. My only experience in this field is a little work on my gf's 89 civic.
All other cars i've worked on have been my own, and they were all domestic vehicles.
I have no idea how much any of this stuff costs on these cars, and don't really want to tear into an engine I know nothing about.
It's good to see someone near me from here that's willing to help me out here and figure out if this would be a good decision or not. Thanks for responding, and I look forward to anything else you have to say.

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah, your really 20 minutes from me at the most. It really does sound like the clutch, but if you want, I can stop down sometime to take a look at it with you. If you do decide to get it, I can also help you out with changing out the clutch, as I've (with the help of Steve [88lxi68]) done two full auto-5spd conversions, as well as removed a few of these trannys from some of my other 3G's. I gotta admit, I'm no mechanic, but I know these cars pretty well.