PDA

View Full Version : Man my car is messed up

3rdGenMartyr
09-04-2003, 12:59 PM
:help:

Unfortunately, alot of stupid shit happened at the same time, right after the timing belt went.

I posted this in another thread, but it was about something else, so here it goes again.

First off, it's blowing oil through the breather filter, and not a little, I mean alot, like a quart every other day, with no reasonable explanation. So i pulled the valve cover to see what the deal was, and there was white smoke billowing forth from the right oil inlet into the valvetrain. Personally i dont know what this means, but it cant be good.

Secondly, it idles fine when it's cold, but if the r's arent up there then it wants to die out.

I have a feeling that the oil is causing it, because the pcv valve is screwed, because of oil build up, or maybe it has been like that for a while and it finally just went out.

Needless to say, with an idle problem, billowing smoke and excessive oil loss, i dont feel safe or comfortable driving my ride. Which is a bummer because it's my only ride. So if anyone could shed a little light on the subject, it would help. Even if it is just the best case and worse case scenarios, that coculd help out alot.

:help:

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking it's either a bad head gasket, warped head, or VERY leaky, or cracked/broken valves.

Not a good sign, might be time for a new engine, or at least a whole new top-end.

3rdGenMartyr
09-04-2003, 01:31 PM
do you think that when the timing belt went a valve could have jumped time and tapped a piston, but if that was the case it should run REALLY bad

shepherd79
09-04-2003, 01:33 PM
it is your PCV valve. it is eather dirty or not working. your crank doesn't get enough ventilation and that is why it is coughing out oil through valve cover.
replace the PCV valve and you should be good to go.

3rdGenMartyr
09-05-2003, 09:30 AM
well, i thought it could be the pcv valve too, so i changed, it. Will it take a bit for the motor to get used to breathing right, because it really didnt do much, it just took a little bit longer at idle for the car to die. I must correct my self also on smoke coming from the oil circ hole on the right side of the head, it's coming from a hole just an inch or two to the left of it.

My neighbor said it could be the head gasket or a warped head, though there is no water in the oil, nor am i losing any coolant to begin with. This car is really pissing me off, and nobody around me knows what the hell is wrong with it, so i thank you guys for helpin me out.

And yes im too cheap to take it to a shop. :)

joebeets
09-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Sounds like one piston/ring isn't sealing, and that's pressurizing the crankcase on the power stroke. Also screwing your idle. Do a compression test.

Your white smoke is probably steam; oil would noticeably smell. If so your cyl head has a crack. Hot exhaust gasses are escaping. Sounds like you're lookin' at a used head and a piston/ring minimum.

thundertank
09-05-2003, 02:50 PM
as to not idling are you sure you got the timing dead on? when i did my timing belt i got the belt of by a tooth and it didnt run that well. you may want to put a gun on it to check. just a thaught. you arent still leaking oil from the valve cover are you? i know on some cars if you tighten the cover down you can bend it then it doesnt seat well. just a couple of thaughts.

cruznz
09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
bent valves is my guess,....damaged valve guides and seals allowing oil to get thru

Chadroper
09-07-2003, 05:13 AM
it sounds like the crankcase is being pressurized by gas from one or more of the cylinders. The white smoke sounds like the headgasket is bad or the head or the block is cracked. As many problems as it has I would just see about buying a long block and installing it.