PDA

View Full Version : Rear Control Arm/Ball Joint Question...

pstone
09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Alright, I need someone who has experience with replacing the rear upper balljoints on our cars.

It seems that the only part I can find, and the answer I get from Honda is that I have to replace the complete control arm with ball joint, but I have heard on this board that the ball joints may be replaceable.

So does anyone have a straight answer/experience on whether I can actually press the old balljoints out of the control arm? Or are they like the front ones that are permanently in there?

I have no problem with pressing the old ones out (I work at a machine shop with a press :) ), but I need to know if it is possible to just change the balljoints without paying for a whole new arm.

MrBen
09-04-2003, 07:26 PM
You can press them in/out, apparently, but it is much easier to just buy a new arm and bushing. I went through the same thing and said "screw it" and bought the entire arm.

guaynabo89
09-04-2003, 07:29 PM
It is possible to swap out just the ball joint. The hard part is finding a store that sells just the ball joint. Most of the time they quote you a price for the whole arm and will only look for just the joint if you ask.

They are pressed into the arm and also have a snap ring. This is for the rear upper by the way.

dj99
09-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2430414775&category=33583

or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2430908021&category=33583

Cheap enough to replace the whole thing.

MrBen
09-04-2003, 09:05 PM
You know what they say, you get what you pay for.

pstone
09-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys!

I think I found someone who has just the balljoint in stock, for a lot cheaper than the $100 they want for the whole arm.

I saw those two on ebay, but those are some of the STUPID sellers that won't ship to Canada because it's "Too much trouble"....even though it only takes like two more seconds to do the customs form.